Chapter 9

Chapter 9

It's my hands. 

I can fight the monster with my hands. I remember my hands grew warm when I had them on my blanket so what if I got them so hot that the monster would back off? But if I got close to touching the creature it would kill me within seconds. Wait, what if I gathered the light like a snowball and threw it at the creature? That would work. But then there's still the possibility that I can't make a ball of light and I can't make it hot. If that happens, everything I possibly could try would end up with me dying. So, it HAS to work.

Crash! I turn, the monster is standing there, a bent and battered use-to-be row of lockers lie there on the ground.

Right then let's... oh, how am I supposed to call onto the light? Um, I didn't DO anything when I woke up so I must have triggered it in the dream. What was it though? All I did was, oh, I need to imagine myself doing it to do it. But if that's the case then why wasn't I lighting up like I was in my dream? Was it because I wasn't focusing on trying to do it myself? 

James charges at the monster his English books still in his hand. He starts whacking at it but the monster pays him no mind. Its eyes fixed on, and only for, me. 

Ok Megan you need to do this RIGHT NOW. 

I focus hard, my brow furrowed in consideration. I imagine a bright burning hot ball of light in my hands the size of my head, getting hotter, and hotter, and hotter. 

Someone screams at me to run...No, I have to focus.

Thump, thump, thump, the creature makes its way towards me. It knows I won't be able to escape.

An odd calmness washes over me. A little tingling sensation in my palms let me know that it's working. But instead of opening my eyes, I relax my eyelids even more, as if I were going to sleep. A warmth bursts out of my chest spreading throughout my body from my head to my feet. Seeping into all the corners, my toes, fingertips, my irises, my hair. I could feel it moving through my hair like water. As this power touched my bones I could feel them grow stronger, when it flooded my ears suddenly I could hear the birds outside and the roar of every single car in a mile radius. I felt like, I felt like, I can't even describe it in this language, I felt like...

I felt like a god.

Slowly I open my eyes. Everything looked sharper, it was like I was seeing for the first time. Like I have been staring through a foggy window all of my life and finally, it has been wiped clean.

Thump, thump, thump. The Elexsiah closes in on me. My back is facing it, but I don't bother turning around. I don't need to. 

I can feel the vibration from her feet on the ground, this allows me to pinpoint her exact location so I know how far away from me she is. The Elexsiah is going to lunge straight at me. So I just have to move to the left or to the right so I won't be turned to shreds by her. Elexsiah are not well known for their ability to change directions fast.

And how I know that, I don't know.

I'm sensing a large group of people huddled together to the left of me. They must be my friends so I'll go that way. 

Elexiah lunges, I run full speed towards the wall which is only five feet away. Then I kick my legs up towards the wall. Planting my feet on the wall, I take a quick glance at what's going on around me. That's when I realize that the time slowed again. Elexsiah is in mid-air her claws extended outward toward an invisible target witch used to be me. It felt weird looking down at the wall I was standing on. It was like the world got flipped sideways.