Chapter 12

Chapter 12

My feet pound the floor going faster, and faster. My arms pumping as fast as I can get them, my breath caught up in my throat. My body begs me to stop and rest but I persist. My legs have turned into little twigs, every time I bend them they groan like they're about to snap in half any second. My arms feel like spaghetti, all wobbly and numb from the pain. The red tomato sauce dripping from that one arm, wait, did I really say that? Common Megan, you're making jokes at a time like this, like when you could die any second? But I laugh at myself anyway, spaghetti arms and red tomato sauce blood. Get it?

A stabbing pain shoots up my leg, snapping me out of my thoughts. I stumble over myself, I fly through the air. 

Bang!! 

I hit the floor, skidding another few feet, my body completely limp. I groan and sit up, my ankle is rapidly growing in size, the foot itself twisted at an odd angle.

I whimper, placing my head in my hands. I'm done, I give up, my body hurts everywhere at every move I make from the smallest twitch of a muscle to anything and beyond.

A scream cuts through the air. I snap my head up in the direction it came from. I can't tell if it was Ellen or the Elexsiah. They must be getting close. Guilt fills me up, making my heart ache just thinking about it. What would Ellen do if she saw me sitting here?

I can see it now, she just stands there quietly staring me down with pity in her eyes.

No...

I'm not going to let her see me like this, I need to get up and help. After all, she's done for me, for us. She knows that she could get killed helping us but she does it anyway, not even with a little hesitation.

Yes, I've only known her for a few minutes but it feels like I've known her my whole life. Just the thought of her being hurt because of me makes my blood boil. I grit my teeth and clench my jaw, preparing myself for what I'm going to do. Giving up can wait till later, but right now my friends and Ellen need help. So that's what I'm going to give them, help.

I stand up, easy as cake. The pain that I felt not moments before goes numb with anger and rage. I gather the light within me, collecting it, storing it until I unleash it on the Elexsiah who had caused me and my friends so much pain.

Sucking some air into my lungs I close my eyes. Megan, you won't be able to do anything if your not calm, I reason with myself.

A pair of footsteps jogging down the hall behind me reaches my ears. I turn around, Annie is huffing and puffing, her face slightly flushed, her eyes glued to the floor in front of her. She hadn't noticed me yet.

Finally, she looks up "There you are!" she exclaimed, running the rest of the way towards me.

"What are you doing here!" I snap at her. Her eyes widen, her mouth hangs open, "I-I uh um I didn't mean it that way" I stutter. "It's just you could get hurt".

Annie's eyes soften "Can't we all get hurt?". I open my mouth then quickly shut it, dang, she's right. Why is it that she's always right!

"Yes, I guess that's true" I mumble. "Ok, we need to find a way to help Ellen," I say, getting back to the point.

"What are we going to do?" she asks, all of her attention on me.

"I don't know" I admit. "All I know is that we need to help, otherwise non of us are going to get out alive". "And that is something that I am positive of" I add.

Annie folds her arms across her chest, thinking hard. She opens her mouth to suggest something when another screech comes from the direction of Ellen and the Elexsiah.

I groan, will I never get a chance to relax and calm my mind before the Elexsiah comes barging in again? By the looks of it, probably not. Just then the two of them come around the corner.

Elexsiah advances on Ellen, large cuts dot the upper part of her hind legs, her arms, and face. Unfortunately, all of which are rapidly closing up. The leathery, thick skin quickly concealing the dirty greyish blood gushing out of the wounds. At every step, she takes Ellen takes another one back. Getting closer and closer to where we stand, although neither one of them has noticed us yet. Sweat drips down Ellen's forehead, her lips pursed in concentration. The blades that each of the two females wields blur from left to right, up and down. Clashing of the two deadly swards erupt in a shower of sparks. It felt like I was watching a time-lapse of the two of them fighting, and it amazed me that this was actually happening at normal time speed.

Snapping out of my shock, I jump into action only to realize that we actually didn't have a plan. Oh well, we'll just have to make it up as we go.

I sprint over to the fight, Ellen takes a quick glance over at me, her eyes widen. "I told you to get away from here! You could get hurt" she pants. I give Ellen the same answer Annie gave me, "Can't we all get hurt?". Ellen doesn't respond. I take this as my cue to start helping.

I close my eyes, taking the energy that I had collected I let it all trickle into my hands. Slowly, the skin on my palms starts to glow, and the liquid energy, or whatever it is, seeps out of the net of my skin, now which is clearly visible. I sigh, the energy courcing through me and the feeling of it in my hand is just, amazing.

I lob the balls at the Elexsiah, as the liquid hit's her skin she shrieks. She drops her sword, letting it clatter to the ground. Clawing at her back she hisses in pain, oblivious to the fact that we were still here, all of her focus now drawn to her wound. Ellen took these few seconds to drab my arm and start dragging me in the direction of Annie. Away from the Elexsiah.

As soon as we stop in front of Annie. James, Bianca, Thomas, and Julie round the corner, upon seeing us they sprint towards us. Before any of us have a chance to open our mouths, or get close enough to each other a blade comes out of nowhere. Hurtling past Ellen and me, headed dead straight for Thomas. I scream, time seems to slow, I can't move my body, my mouth isn't working. I watch helplessly as the blade closes in on its target. Five feet away, two feet away, half of afoot. I can't watch anymore, I'm about to close my eyes when something catches my eye. The blade, which at the moment is inches away from embedding itself in Thomases heart, is somehow changing direction. It was as if an invisible hand was turning the point of the blade sideways. Looking closer I notice that a big gust of wind was firmly pressing itself on Thomases chest. But, it was only in the area that the blade would have punctured. How is that possible? And where did the big just of wind come from?

But I don't have time to think about it, time speeds back up to normal. The blade slams into Thomas, but thankfully on the blunt side. "What!? How did that happen?!" I screech. Thomases eyebrows raise in surprise. But it wasn't him who responded.

"I used my power to shift the tip of the blade," Ellen says softly. My eye bulge out of my sockets, I'm not the only one with a power here?! Why didn't she use it before?

"Because other mutants would have sensed it and then we would have definitely not had a chance to escape, so, I only used it when absolutely necessary, I think that keeping a dagger from plunging into his heart is enough of a reason don't you agree?" Ellen says. We all nod, too shocked to say anything, too many questions running through our head to even be able to get one on our tongue.

"So!" Ellen claps her hands together, snapping me out of my thoughts, "let's hurry up, we don't have much time before the others arrive!". "You all wait behind the next corridor, I'll take care of the Elexsiah" she barks. I look at her "What! I can help, I have powers too!" I whine.

Ellen turns to me, her eyes soften "Not today Megan, I have trained for these fight's and I have mastered my control over wind, you have not. Just sit this one out Megan, it will be ok," she says soothingly, I just nod and follow the others around the corner.

I hesitate, right before turning the next corner, swiveling around, I look back at Ellen. She has a short blade in hand, calmly waiting for the Elexsiah to make the first move.

I turn back to face the others, quickly scurrying behind the wall. A cry and the hiss of blades can be heard.

...

I'm starting to wonder if we are going to ever be able to get out of this school alive.