Prologue: Opportunity

~Pasay City, Local Convenience Store, Heritage St.

Mike has been working since he was 14 as a part-time helper for a couple of years at the convenience store. Orphaned with no relatives by a car accident at the tender age of 9, Mike has bounced from orphanage to orphanage since. Never really trusting anyone beyond just being simple acquaintances, he was never adopted due to his distrustful nature. A side effect of losing his parents at such an early age had made him that way.

When he reached 14 years old, it became apparent to the orphanage that he would never be adopted at this rate so through the government employment incentive, he was given a job at the convenience store. With no proper education or training he had no other choice but to accept.

“Hey, kid hurry it up, we need to close up shop. I got a date waiting for me online!” A man shouted from inside the shop.

“Yes, Boss!” Mike shouted back, even though he was thinking, if the pig of a man helped they could have finished earlier.

                Lifting the last box of canned goods, he headed to the storage behind the shop and locked it up. When he was done he went back in to the shop to tell his boss he was done packing up the extra goods.

“Good. Make sure to clean up the shop properly before locking up. I gave you the room upstairs so it’s the least you could do.” The man said and left after gathering the cash from the register.

        Yep, you gave me a room alright; you remind me that every day, Mike thought to himself. Sighing, he grabbed a broom and started sweeping up the floors, when after a few minutes someone knocked at the shop’s glass door.  

“Sorry Sir, but we are closed for the night.” Mike told the man outside.

“Nope, I’m not here to buy anything. I’m looking for a Mike Perez, is he here?” The man said.

                Mike looked at the man closely and saw the man was wearing a suit, looked clean cut and very formal with a business like face.

“I’m the one you’re looking for. How can I help you?” He replied politely.

“Yeah, you were hard to track down. I came from the last orphanage that had you, they told me you were here. I’m from the family that caused the accident a few years back.” The man answered.

“Ok, so what of it?” Mike asked eyeing the man suspiciously.

“Oh don’t worry; the matter was settled long time ago if I remember correctly. The family I represent has granted a gift to you as an apology. May I come in?” The man asked.

“I see no harm in you coming in, but I don’t like you. Well not you specifically but the family you represent.”

“Fair enough; I have come here to deliver a gift for you from the family.” The man said.

“I don’t want anything from them!” Mike shouted, tears slowly appearing in his eyes as he remembers the loss of his parents.

“Even so, I was ordered to bring this to you. I will leave it here for you. It is you choice to use it or not. Good Night” The man stated dropping a large box in front of the door and leaving.

                Pissed off, Mike finished up cleaning the shop hurriedly and locked up the doors to the shop, he then headed upstairs to his room. After a quick shower and a meager meal of instant noodles, Mike laid down to sleep but couldn’t.

                The nagging feeling of the box at the shop's door step is keeping him awake. After a couple of hours of resisting the urge, he gave up, rushed downstairs, opened the shop door, picked up the box and examined it. There stamped on the top was a simple message.

_____________________________________________________________________________

TO: Mike Perez

                We know we cannot replace what you lost, but we hope that what we gave you will help you in the future.

_____________________________________________________________________________

                The message was addressed to him, but there was no from note or return address. Shrugging he took the box upstairs and opened it. Inside he found VR gear set, a laptop, a Divine World Installer and another letter.

_____________________________________________________________________________

TO: Mike Perez

                If you are reading this then you have at least wanted to see what we gave you. This here is a Virtual Reality Set. Don’t worry we have paid a life time subscription under our name, that means you can play for free for the rest of your life. We don’t know if you are aware but in Divine World you can earn real money. We hope you put this to good use.

P.S. We also play the game maybe we can see each other online there someday. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

        Outside in the dark street, a strange man who was looking up at Mike's window, pulled out a cellphone and dialed a number.

*Ring. Ring.*

"Hello?" A woman's voice answered the call.

"It took a while, but he eventually accepted the gift." The man whispered to the woman. 

"Good." The woman replied and cut off the call.

*Toot toot*

        The man looked up again at the boy's window and smiled. After a while he left shaking his head at the boy's situation.