3

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimmed;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimmed.
But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st,
Nor shall Death brag thou wand'rest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st.
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

~~~~~~~~~~

by noon my classes were coated with dust and soot as i swept and cleaned every crevice of the house. I know mum wouldn't have wanted me to pardon it dirty. she used to say "when moving out, you always clean to give the spirits a nice place to stay" 

and that I did. jack called our theories crazy, but i always respect spirits in our old house. i remember when i was little i used to leave out food and crumbs for them to eat at night or when we went on vacations (which was rare) 

The last thing to be thrown into the U-Haul was my grandmothers rocking chair, leaving the old house empty. i sat in the middle of the living room floor breathing in the familiar smell of old paint as jack called my name from the door. sighing, i stood up, and walked out of the house not looking behind.

The car ride to the airport was about a half an hour, and since jack didn't like music in the car, we conversed a bit. 

"you know, i heard a lot about those British boys. I hear they're quite handsome. it would be a shame if you were to leave me for one" he said in a joking tone, followed by an awkward laugh. jack had always worried about me leaving him. he once said he would do anything to make sure i stay with him. he always put emphasis on the "everything" 

Once we arrived at the airport I checked the time on our flight. right on schedule. jack was talking to the airport workers and told me to stay in the seating area. he's probably just trying to negotiate prices and seating arrangements. 

after about 15 minutes i looked up from my phone. jack was nowhere to be seen so i took the opportunity to go buy a pack of newports. jack didn't like it when i smoked so i try to in secret. lighting a newport on the 2nd floor balcony i heard our flight attendant over the intercom. i quickly stomped my cigarette out with the toe of my boot, adjusted my new black skirt, and shuffled to the plane entrance where i found jack making conversation with one of the flight attendants. 

once we got onto the plane i started walking down the aisle to where our tickets said when jack grabbed my waist and whispered 

"i got us some better seats, this way"

i followed him through coach all the way too business class and sat where he pointed. he leaned in close to me and whispered with whiskey on his breath

"I just like to prove my worth to m'lady you know, show im worth it for the long haul" i smiled, gave him a kiss on the cheek, and turned to the window as the plane started rolling. I watched the beautiful colorado surroundings vanish as we flew above the clouds. I already miss home