21

Lo, as a careful housewife runs to catch
One of her feathered creatures broke away,
Sets down her babe, and makes all swift dispatch
In pursuit of the thing she would have stay;
Whilst her neglected child holds her in chase,
Cries to catch her whose busy care is bent
To follow that which flies before her face,
Not prizing her poor infant's discontent;
So runn'st thou after that which flies from thee,
Whilst I thy babe chase thee afar behind;
But if thou catch thy hope, turn back to me,
And play the mother's part, kiss me, be kind;
So will I pray that thou mayst have thy 'Will,'
If thou turn back and my loud crying still.

~~~~~~~~~

same night

i tried so hard to hold back tears. but when wil's face grew concerned, i broke. crumbling to the ground, i was sobbing. wil crouched down beside me and rubbed my back before pulling me into him so i was sitting back in his arms. he wiped my nose with his sleeve and kissed me on the forehead before helping me up and inside.

sitting me down on the couch, he made his way over to his kitchen island and started brewing decaf tea in two beige mugs. he looked up at me from over his glasses and frowned. i could tell he didn't like to see me cry.

once he sat down and placed the warm mug in between my hands he turned his body towards me, tilted my chin, and gave me a kiss.

"talk to me" he said with his forehead pressed against mine, which only made me cry more. he nodded, acknowledging that i couldn't speak right now, and pulled me to his chest so i was laying backwards on him on the couch. 

he kissed my head over and over and pulled the hair out of my face and continued to wipe my nose with his shirt. we sat there for a few minutes as he traced his fingers along my back, shoulders, and upper chest in a soothing pattern. 

after about 10 minutes my crying slowly came to a stop and i was able to speak a sentence

"he was sleeping with our flight attendant." i say quietly. then added, 

"i'm not sad that he cheated, it was bound to happen, the reason i started sobbing is because well, i really like you wil. you helped me realize that jack just couldn't compare to you... if that makes sense" i let out. there was a brief pause of silence before wil spoke. 

"i'm so sorry he cheated. but i understand, god lav, since i got home all i could think about was you, and when i saw you at my door.. i got so excited, well that was until i saw your eyes get wet."

i sighed, turned around so i was on top of him sort of, and buried my head into his chest. 

after a few minutes, wil starts humming again, but soon his hums turn into soft singing. 

Darling, I'll bathe your skin
I'll even wash your clothes
Just give me some candy
Before I go
Darling, I'll kiss your eyes
Lay you down on your rug
Just give me some candy
Before my hug

it was a sweet tune. calming. before i knew it, my eyes were growing heavy and everything was black. 

opening my eyes, i felt movement. I wasn't quite awake, i was still in that half asleep phase. all I know is that i was being carried, then the next moment i was placed on a soft bed, being spooned back to sleep.