34

Now sleeps the crimson petal, now the white;
Nor waves the cypress in the palace walk;
Nor winks the gold fin in the porphyry font.
The firefly wakens; waken thou with me.

Now droops the milk-white peacock like a ghost,
And like a ghost she glimmers on to me.

Now lies the Earth all Danaë to the stars,
And all thy heart lies open unto me ...

~~~~~~~~~

same night

i look at wil, who's sitting precariously on one knee, his eyes looking up to me hitting the pale moonlight, making them glisten. my eyes start to fill with tears, i try to blink them away. 

before i could get a chance to process any further words, wilbur's voice fills the silence. 

"lavender, i know this is rushed my love, but will you do me the honor of being my wife? it doesn't matter when, but i want to spend the rest of my life with you." he says smoothy. my heart is beating out of my chest, surely he can hear it. 

breaking the brief silence i respond

"yes, wilbur" and before i knew it i was collapsed in his arms, half hugging him, half tackling him. he breathes shakily into my ear, as if he was holding back tears. i squeezed him tighter, this was one of many moments with wil that i wanted to last forever. 

we sat there, hugging tightly in silence, wil's hand softly immersed in my hair, my hand grasping the small of his back. i let a tear drop onto the shoulder of his sweater. 

"i love you so much wilbur" i say, choking back more tears. 

"i love you lavender" he replies, also seemingly choking back tears, which makes me feel better.

once we let go of each other, we face back towards the water, with his arm over my shoulder, and we sit there in peace.