Chapter XIII: Unexpected Guests

Winter had officially arrived and I was having a hard time adjusting to the bitter cold temperatures. Bonnie had taken Sierra and I on a winter shopping spree, buying everything related to the end of the year season. She had made sure we had stocked up gloves, scarves, hat, earmuffs, boots, coats and warm socks. She was even nice enough to stop by one day for hot chocolate after work and went ahead to teach us how to use the fireplace.

The small snowflakes stuck to my face as I walked towards the apartment building entrance. My teeth chattered ferociously and my eyelids were beginning to stick together. The doorman Rob smiled sympathetically and quickly opened the door for me.

“Not quite used to the weather yet Ms. Knight?” He chuckled lightly.

“Not yet Rob. Does one ever get used to it?” I sighed.

“I’m afraid not.” He teased.

“This is the only thing I miss about Florida, its warm winter climate.” I mumbled. Rob chuckled again.

“I’m just messing with you. You’ll get used to it someday.” He patted my arm gently and smiled once more.

“Thanks for the reassuring words, Rob.” I giggled and headed to the elevator.

The smell of fresh pine floated to my nostrils as I opened the door to find Ken and Sierra sitting on the couch, cuddled together and watching a Christmas movie. In the corner of the living room, glowed a beautifully decorated Christmas tree. It seemed like they had just finished up and were now resting.

“Hey lovebirds.” I said playfully. They looked like they weren’t expecting my company.

“Hey, Elle. We thought you’d get out late.” Sierra quickly searched for a believable excuse.

“Oh, yeah. I uh, managed to slip out a tad early.” I fumbled with my words so her excuse wouldn’t flop in front of Ken.

A wine bottle halfway down was on the coffee table in front of them. I took it back to the kitchen with me. “I hope you guys won’t mind. I’ll buy the next time.” I called behind me. Sierra had known better that the wine bottle was part of our secret stash. It hurt me a little to know that she was using it for her cuddle sessions. She and Ken made a lot of money, so why didn’t they buy a bottle of their own?

Once Ken had left after dinner, Sierra knocked on my door.

“Hey, I hope it didn’t bother you that I brought him over without talking to you first.” She apologized.

“Hey, no need. It’s not like I’m your mother or anything. As long as I don’t catch you two doing pesky things, everything is okay.” I reassured her. She instantly relaxed her tense posture and stuffed her hands in her back pockets.

“And the bottle? We were in a rush to get here because the snowflakes were starting to fall and it was much easier and closer to come here.”

“Sie, it’s alright. Don’t stress yourself.”

“Okay, I won’t. But again, I am sorry.” I rolled my eyes jokingly as I heard her apologize once more. “Oh and uh, something came in the mail for you. It’s in the laundry room.” With that she smiled and left my room.

I headed to the laundry room and saw a big box by the hamper. The box seemed familiar. I got closer and noticed my name in big bold letters. It was the same box my mother insisted she had gotten rid of. The box that had a high tension between my mother and I. It was nearing Christmas and I hadn’t spoken to her since that awful Thanksgiving.