Chapter IV: Not As Planned

I angrily punched in the number that the man gave me into my cell phone for the millionth time. I hoped my ‘estranged husband’ would sometime pick up the phone.

Just to my luck, he didn’t answer. I left him another urgent message to please call back, since it was for his personal interest.

It was already the following day, and Mia and Emily went ahead and flew back to Orlando to keep an eye on Adam so he wouldn’t flip out. I still had to find the ring and the man.

“Any luck finding the ring, Sie?” I threw my phone back in my purse and saw her bending over, still picking up trash from the almost clean room. She simply shook her head no.

“Where should we look next?” I asked, biting my lip in distress.  

I heard Cassie bickering with someone on the phone, and my best guess was that it was Adam.

“She’s fine! It’s just that she lost her wallet and we’re looking for it. She doesn’t want to leave until we’ve scoped the place and let the authorities know in case it were to show up. Relax, you know I have everything under control.” She reassured them.

“Elle, we leave in two hours, you might want to pack for us while we finish up here.” Sierra suggested as she bent over and picked up more trash.

“You girls go on without me then, if I have to catch another flight out or stay the night, I will. I’m not leaving without finding my ring and getting ahold of Maxwell first.” I crossed my arms, ready for an argument with Sierra.

She raised an eyebrow at me. “Really Elle, you get married tomorrow and you decide to go with this childish attitude?”

“It’s not childish, Sie. If I weren’t so concerned and under the circumstance that I am going to get married tomorrow, I would’ve returned yesterday and cared less if I found the guy, much less the ring. What part of I can’t get married unless I get this one annulled do you not understand?” I cried, not wanting to look for a fight with her.

She knew I had a point, so she didn’t respond and continued to pick up the trash.

Adam called me about six more times that morning, but I ignored them.  I wasn’t ready to face or much less tell him what I was going through at the moment.  

Cassie hollered our names from the other room. Sierra and I exchanged glances and headed to the master bedroom. She was by the nightstand, holding up a water bottle.

“It looks like you felt this was the best place to put it.” She held up the bottle, and there was my ring, at the bottom of the bottle. Cassie carefully emptied the bottle in the bathroom sink and returned with the ring in her hand.

“Now, if you give me these, and you can have this one back.” Sierra did me the favor to slip of the beautiful yet not the correct rings off of my finger and slid the right one on.

“You know you can sell these. They look like platinum gold, and that’s worth a lot these days.” Sierra snickered.

“Very funny. Now, all I have to do is get ahold of this Maxwell.” I sighed.

Cassie’s phone rang once more, but by the look on her face, it didn’t seem like it was Adam calling this time. She answered and walked out of the room.

The girls eventually convinced me to give calling the man and fly back home in time and see how the wedding scenario for the next day was going to play out.

The only viable option was postponing the wedding, but the only detail was, how to tell Adam?

“Will one of you please call the White Chapel and see if Maxwell managed to stop by and sign the paperwork?” I asked the girls while I drove to Sierra’s apartment back in Orlando. The car was quiet, but I heard Cassie dial her phone and place it on speaker for me to hear.