Chapter VIII: New Beginnings

The first day for me was pretty intimidating. Seeing all those attorneys and lawyers knowing this company from head to toe and their contracts like the palms of their hands made me realize I had a lot of studying to do in two months. Most of them were men, and the senior attorney of the board was an elder man, similar to Mr. Renner, in his late fifties and weary faced.  The only thing that comforted me after the whole introduction was the delicious coffee the secretary brought me under my orders and me not feeling like a complete outcast with my nicely fitted blazer and pencil skirt.

Another thing I had to worry about was passing the bar in the state of Illinois. The laws were obviously not the same like back in Florida, which meant I had more things I had to study for. As if I didn’t have enough to stress about at the moment.

Just then a group of men and their fancy, expensive suits walked in the meeting room, distracting me from my little stress bubble then and there. I straightened out my blazer and ran my hand through my hair rapidly so I could get on my feet and greet those who were joining us.

Mr. Renner mentioned about ten names, most of them elder men and the others in their late forties. The majority of the names I didn’t quite catch, so another thing to add on my to-do list, learn my colleagues’ names.

The look on my bosses’ face showed frustration, him checking his fancy wristwatch every thirty seconds and back at the doorway. I imagined someone was going to be dead-meat on his watch. With not a second more of waiting, Mr. Renner began the meeting.

“Our weekly meeting begins differently this week. We have a new coworker, Miss Knight, would you please present yourself?” He leaned over the table with a gentle smile wiped over wrinkled face.

“Of course Mr. Renner. Well, I’m…” I was cut short by a man walking in, or should I say rushing in, with an ‘I’m-really-sorry-I’m-late’ look on his face.

“I sincerely apologize for my tardiness, Mr. Renner. I hope I’m not interrupting anything.” With that, he caught me looking at him, his smoldering hazel eyes from afar.

My eyes narrowed in irritation and a sneer slipped upon my face. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him hide back an apologetic smile, nodded and took his seat.

“As I was saying, I am Elline. I come from Florida and I look forward to working with you all.” I disguised a hard gulp and suppressed an enthusiastic smile.

The meeting was basically a recap on what was on the agenda for the week, including trials and getting together with other ‘allies’, as Mr. Renner called them, our corporate ‘friends’. Once it was adjourned, I gathered my notes and tried to scurry out of the room as quick as I could and scuttled to my office.

I began to type away at my computer for some reports Mr. Renner was going to need in less than two hours since his secretary was out in an appointment, when suddenly a light knock startled me. I spun in my swivel chair and took off my glasses to find that man at my doorway. A milk-white smile slowly crept onto his face. The crinkles in the corner of his eyes added a special touch to his charming smile.

“I hope I’m not bothering you or interrupting you.” He practically whispered with a low and mystic voice.

“Oh no, not at all! I was just uh, finishing up.” I tugged on undershirt, realizing I had taken off my blazer to work with easiness. Thinking he was probably someone important, I flushed with embarrassment of imagining the sight of me, so I placed my elbows on my desk and my face on my wrists. “Please, have a seat.”

He made his way slowly to my desk and helped himself to a chair. “So what can I do for you, um, I’m sorry, I didn’t quite catch your name earlier in the meeting since you arrived a bit late.” I stuttered as he flashed his white smile again.