Chapter XXI: Confrontation

The high pitched beeping that came from my phone was like a slap to the face the next morning.

I made sure not to wear anything provocative nor anything that could attract attention. Little makeup and clipping my hair half up was the way to go. I took one last look in the mirror, and I bolted out the door. Waves of nausea went through me while I was in the cab, but I took in deep breaths, remembering it was the best for the both of us. I was in desperate need of getting the truth out and finally getting some sleep at night.

A young brunette, typing quickly on the keyboard, took a moment to look up at me and kindly gave me directions to Max’s office. I had to go up in the elevator and get off on the third floor, the second door to the left. Following the indications the secretary gave me, I made my way down the eternal hallway. Beige walls and white tile surrounding me added to the sensation that I was never going to reach his office. My steps paced quickly as I practically ran down the hallway, and came to a halt in front of his door. I took in a deep breath and knocked. I got his approval and stepped inside.

The office was very spacious and cozy at the same time. Giant black tiles and a long desk, gave it a modern vibe. It had various bookshelves full of thick textbooks, which I supposed were his medical references. His degrees hung on a side wall, most of them Vanderbilt University with high honors and his specialty of Epidemiology. A shiny and organized desk sat in front of an enormous window pane that looked out to the city, the clear blue sky a blinding sun reflecting on the buildings.  

Max was standing by the window with his back towards me, talking on the phone. Wearing a black pinstriped dress shirt and black slacks, he slowly made me lose my train of thought as I focused more on his broad shoulders and backside assets. He talked for a few more minutes and was certainly not expecting my company as he hung up the phone.

“Elline, what are you doing here?” He asked perplexed at my unexpected appearance. “Are you feeling alright?” He began to walk over to me, but I held my hand up, stopping him.

“Don’t take a step closer. We need to talk.” My hand was still up, and he stopped in his tracks.

“Elline, I have to leave for the lab in a few minutes. Can this wait until tonight?” He pinched the bridge of his nose.

“You deserve to know who I am, what I’ve done.” I began to vomit words.

“Elline, what are you talking about?” He asked, confused.

“That man you saw argue with me the first time you stopped by the apartment, he was my ex-fiancé. I left him planted at the altar, I ran, because I cheated. So did he, but what I had done was far worse. I moved away from Florida because I needed to get away from it all, and I thought it was best to start fresh here.” I felt tears begin to well up in my eyes.

“Elline…” He breathed. He was speechless.

“My bachelorette party was in Las Vegas, and somehow I ended up married to a complete stranger. I never knew who it was, no evidence in photographs, no nothing, just a marriage certificate. I called them endlessly, but no reply, hence the running from my wedding. Then on New Year’s Eve, I found out it was you. I didn’t want to say anything because I didn’t want to scare you off, but your mother and uncle know about this. They talked to me, and they came to the conclusion that I had to tell you.”

His face began to turn pale then red, probably from the shock and the anger.

“I’m doing this now, because I love you, and I don’t want to hurt you anymore. So, in this envelope, is a copy of the marriage certificate, the rings and my lawyer’s business card, for when you’re ready to go on with the divorce process, because I know you hate my guts right now. For lying, for keeping this from you, for hurting you this way. But, it’s for the best for the both of us and because I love you.” The river of tears raced down my hot cheeks. “Goodbye, Max.”

I spun on my heels and darted out of his office before he could say anything. I ran down the hallway and barged out of the front doors. The cab ride back to my apartment felt like forever, but I came to a decision, I was going to escape for a few days and find refuge in my parents.

A small sticky note to Sierra and a quick, dramatic call to Mr. Renner, trying to sound as sickly as possible, I managed to convince him that I was going to the hospital just to make sure I was okay. I threw a couple of shirts and jeans in my suitcase and fled the apartment.

The spare key was still I had last hid it, in the hose reel in the front garden. The house was empty, dark and quiet. It was strange seeing the house alone, but I assumed they were on a quick errand and would be right back.

When my parents didn’t return like I had anticipated, I grew worrisome, and went to their room. I saw a few flip flops and some of my father’s cargo shorts neatly folded on the bed. It then hit me, they were on the vacation I had given them for Christmas. That must’ve been the missed called I had received from them on Sunday, right before the insect sting.

On tv that night, a segment about the new SARS-like disease was national news. For some reason, Max appeared on the screen. He looked so professional with his white lab coat, thin, black rimmed reading glasses, his hair combed back and a blue dress shirt and a thin, brown tie. He looked right into the camera but I felt like his eyes were hard on me. I wasn’t paying much attention to what he was saying, but his voice made it was difficult to watch the screen and listen to the news report. I melted in my sofa and began to sob by myself. I mentally cursed myself man and fell asleep on my couch.

The next few days consisted of moping around, replaying the awful scene in my mind, having to bombard him with so much at once. I tried imagining what it must’ve of felt like being in his position, but all it did was overwhelm me with regret and sorrow.

A loud knock awoke me one morning. I had already lost track of the days of the week and company was something I was not expecting. I slipped on my mother’s robe and slowly descended the stairs. Looking out the window, I saw an impatient Sierra outside of my parent’s house. “Elline, open up, I know you’re in there!” She shouted and knocked again.

I swung the door open and didn’t say a word. She didn’t say much either, and walked past me.

“What the hell, Elle? You just leave a note and flee Chicago?” She sat on the kitchen island stool and gave me a bewildered look.

“I thought it was best, to get away from it all.” I muttered.

“You should’ve waited until I got back from work!” She spat.

“That wasn’t necessary. Quite frankly, I don’t understand what you’re doing here.” I said straightforwardly.

“I’m here, so I make sure you won’t do something irrational. Your parents aren’t home and I knew you’d be here.” Her eyes turned into slits.

“I’m just fine. I’ll be back in Sunday. I simply needed some time alone.” I hugged myself and leaned against a wall.

Sierra sighed. “You know where to find me if you need anything.” She had gotten up and left the kitchen.

“Sie!” I called after her. She turned around and gave me a tired look on her face. “Thanks, for worrying about me.” She gave me a half smile and left the house.