Chapter XVIII: Unordinary Surprise

There was no need of an alarm clock in my life. I had Sierra.

“Get your ass out of bed. Max’s going to pick you up in an hour and you’re not even up. And we both know how much you take getting ready.” She shook me awake from my after work nap.

“Why didn’t you wake me up earlier?” I complained.

“He’s called you like a maniac; your phone has been ringing off the hook. Check it yourself.” I raised an eyebrow at her as she handed me my phone and there it said I had ten missed calls from him. I was surprised to see how I didn’t hear it, I mean, was I that dead asleep?

I jumped out of bed, but noticed there was already an outfit spread out on my bed and a small tote bag by the foot of my bed. “What’s all this?” I spun on my heels and glared at Sierra.

“No time for explanations. Get in the shower, missy!” She threw me a towel and nudged me towards my bathroom.

I stood there and analyzed my outfit, consisting of a pair of jeans, a black, spaghetti strapped tank top, a grey shawl cardigan and some gray and turquoise hi-tech boots I didn’t even remember I had. Going with Sierra’s fashion instinct, I didn’t ask nor protest, just put on the clothes she had left ready for me. I tied up my damp hair, grabbed the heavy tote bag and walked out my room towards the kitchen.

The smell of toast smacked me in the face as I set the tote bag on my couch and made my way over to the counter. Sierra set a plate of my breakfast on the counter island and poured me a cup of coffee.

“I don’t understand how you know what’s going on and I don’t. He told me he would let me in on the details, but I guess he took the whole surprise thing too seriously. He hasn’t even replied to my texts all week.” I quipped as I took a bite of my toast. She didn’t say a word. Instead, she appeared to pay close attention to the weekend weather.

“The climate is going to be perfect for you two. Spring is finally here.” She turned her head back to me and smiled deviously.

“You even know where exactly we’re going?” I set my coffee cup down in disbelief. “Well, that’s just great.” I grumbled.

Her phone buzzed on the table. She quickly checked it, set it down and sprinted to the living room. I followed her out and she was holding my tote bag near the front door. “He’s waiting for you outside.” She smiled and handed me the bag. “Have fun. I might not answer texts because I’m staying at Ken’s for the weekend.” She hugged me tightly.

“It’s the whole weekend?” I spat in shock. She winked at me and nudged me once again out the door.

Finding him in his signature pose outside of the building, leaning over his car with his arms crossed over his chest, he looked flawless as ever, except he had a much more casual look than I had ever seen him in, except in his workout clothes. Sporting a St. Louis Cardinals baseball cap, a red undershirt, a navy Ralph Lauren windbreaker, his snug jeans and a pair of hi-tech boots of his own, it showed a more genuine side to him. Not the rich doctor type, but a normal guy from Chicago going out for the weekend with his girlfriend.

He kissed me and took the tote bag from me nicely and threw it in the trunk. “Ready to go?” He seemed pretty thrilled about his secret plan. We walked to our sides of the car, and I nodded as I opened the door and climbed in.

He sped off and turned on the air, creating some kind of noise to distort the silence between us. It wasn’t until we were on the highway leaving Chicago, flashing signs reading St. Louis/Jefferson City above us, when I finally spoke.