Chapter XIV: Winter Date

”Sierra!” I shouted from my room.

A sleepy Sierra appeared at my door. “What?” She scratched her head and rubbed her eyes.

“He’ll be here in an hour and I have no idea what to wear! He said ‘nothing fancy’ and I’m not sure where we’re going.”

“Elle, a simple, little black dress solves everything. You can borrow my white pea-coat. Wear some black stockings and some flats. And there you go, nothing too fancy and warm enough in case it’s somewhere outside.”

I thought about it for a moment, but didn’t hesitate to go with it because I knew I was running out of time.

“Thank, you’re a life saver!” I hugged her and ran to my closet and began to go through my clothing and found the black dress she had referred to.

After fidgeting nervously with my hair and makeup, I was ready. The sound of the intercom buzz made me jump. It was Rob letting me know that Max was waiting outside.

“Good luck and don’t screw it up.” Sierra teased.

Standing by the building entrance was a tall man, with a brown undershirt and a cream-colored sweater vest, with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows made me want to melt. My eyes kept scanning downward, his tight, coal-black slacks molded every asset with perfection. His gray eyes were a bit lighter; almost a blue shade and his sandy blonde hair slicked back topped it off. The man certainly knew how to dress to impress.

He smiled as he saw me walk across the lobby to join him. “Wow, you look spectacular. Are you ready to go?” He led out his arm for me to join him, like a complete gentleman. His charming smile made my head spin for a moment. All that would come to me was nod my head in agreement.

We walked out of the lobby of my apartment building and he led me to a glossy black latest model Kia K9 of the year. Seeing that made me wonder who the hell this doctor was. He opened the door for me, allowing me to slide into the dark interior, black leather seats and tinted windows. The car came to life, purring perfectly as he made his way into the typical Chicagoan traffic.

We were awfully quiet on our way to wherever he planned on taking us. I hadn’t said a word, and neither had he. He was paying much attention to the street, but out of the corner of my eye, I’d catch him looking over to my side of the car. I just liked to think he was looking at the rearview mirror. The only sound that was heard was in the car was the soft jazz music coming from the radio.

The ring of a cell phone made me lose my many trains of thoughts that were swimming in my head. He simply pushed a button on his steering wheel and the phone call was basically on speaker, and I was going to have to listen to the whole thing.

“Dr. Richardson, I hate to interrupt your evening, but Dr. Knolte would like to know if you have his lab test results report ready on his desk for tomorrow morning?” A young woman’s voice surrounded the car’s interior. I saw him take in a deep breath and clutch the steering wheel angrily.

“I don’t. We had agreed on my team going over that lab test again because the results weren’t accurate. There was an error in the genetic code. I told Dr. Kelly to file the report I had typed up this morning.”

“Well then, I assume Dr. Knolte will want that first copy anyways. Is there any way I can gain access to the archive, Dr. Richardson?”

“Lucky for you, I can stop by the office for a moment; I have my key on me. Tell Knolte I’ll be there in five minutes to discuss this briefly, because I had plans and I don’t expect him to ruin them.” He gritted through his teeth that last part, as if threating the poor woman.