Chapter XII: Seek for Closure

A mesmerizing smile came across his face, forming crinkles at the corners of his eyes. His ice blue eyes gazed deeply into mine, slowly melting me to become a puddle. I held my breath as I saw him near me, but as he opened his mouth to speak, a female voice interrupted the moment. Damn it.

“Attention ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts and prepare for landing. Thank you.” My eyes flung open, and was blinded by the bright lights.

My heart sunk and I slouched in my seat. It was all a dream. The gorgeous doctor hypnotizing me even in my sleep began to worry me, but then again I didn’t mind one bit. At least he was something worth dreaming about, not like some creepy demon or worse.

“Elle, you alright over there?” Sierra asked me, flipping through the last pages of the sky mall magazine.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I muttered. Internally I was crushed but I wasn’t going to let my frustration get the best of me.

The plane landed around sunset at Orlando International Airport. It was Thanksgiving, and my parents had obliged me to fly down and spend it with them. They even paid for my plane ticket to make sure I would attended. Although I doubted my mother agreed, I had a feeling that the one behind all the pressure was my father.

Sierra on the other hand, was invited to spend the holiday with Ken, but felt like she wasn’t ready to meet his whole family. That had bummed Ken out, but they made a deal to spend Christmas together instead. My question was, where was I going for Christmas?

Tasha, Sierra’s sister, was waiting for us at the airport. She and I shared a couple of conversations, but she was very timid and rarely spoke. The funny thing was that she and Sierra didn’t look much alike, yet they had many characteristics in common, like their intelligence and shyness.

I set my heavy suitcase next to me and fumbled with the key to fit correctly into the keyhole. I hated ringing the doorbell, and my father had probably heard me having trouble opening the door and went ahead and helped me. To my surprise, it was my mother standing in the doorway.

“Elline.” She breathed. I wasn’t sure if her face was full of regret or disappointment.

“Mother.” I said curtly.

“It’s nice to see you here.” She seethed.

“What’s wrong with the locks? My key didn’t work.” I frowned.

“Your father thought it was best to change them since Adam had a key of his own.” Her face turned sour at mentioning his name.

“Ah, I see. No one cared to tell me this before?” I snapped.

“I assumed your father had written about it in an email.” Her hand gripped the doorknob tightly.

“Aren’t you going to let me in?” I quipped impatiently. 

“Yes, sorry.” Her serious glare broke and looked down to the floor.

“It’s amazing how I’m now a complete stranger in my own home.” I mumbled under my breath as I picked up my suitcase and strutted past her.

My father was in the living room with his faced buried behind the newspaper. He lowered the paper to eye level and noticed my presence. He jumped to his feet, throwing the newspaper to the side and gave me a tight hug.

“Ellie, I’m thrilled to see you here.” He kissed the top of my head and hugged me closer.

“It’s nice to be here, dad.” That wasn’t exactly the truth but I tried to sound as believable as possible.