Chapter XXIV: Slight Modifications

The house was awfully quiet the next morning.

There was a small note on the kitchen counter with my father’s scribble. ‘Coffee is fresh; we went out for a walk’.

I poured myself a cup of coffee and realized I was alone. Sierra had neatly folded the blanket and neither she nor Max, were in sight.

Another sticky note was on the fridge as I grabbed the milk carton. It was Sierra’s cursive writing. ‘Max and I out for quick groceries.’ Underneath that, she had drawn a barely recognizable smiley face.

After a quick shower and slouching on one of the couches in the movie room, watching ‘Something Borrowed’, I dozed off once more.

Long fingers brushed through my hair. “Elline.” They whispered.

Thinking it was Max, I jolted awake, but found my mother sitting next to me.

“It’s you.” I said distastefully.

“Elle, darling. I’m here to apologize.” She said hesitantly.

“No need to do so, mother.” I gritted through my teeth.

She bit her lip. “I would’ve cared, Elline. Something bad could’ve happened to you. And I’m sure your father and I would’ve loved that child from the moment you told us.” She sniffed. Seeing my mother well up with tears, was a first.

“Well, mom, the ‘would have’s’ and ‘could have’s’ won’t change anything now.” I said sourly and got up. “But thank you for apologizing. Now, if you’ll excuse me.” I turned off the projector, threw the remote on the couch next to her and left the room.

Sierra was sitting on the sofa in Max and I’s room, her legs crossed and well dressed. She was looking at her nails and a sparkly bracelet that was on her wrist. “What in the world…” I was confused. She looked completely out of place with her choice of outfit, almost for a cocktail party.

“Get your purse. I have the keys.” She said in a serious tone as she got up and strutted her way past me and out the door. “Hurry up, no but’s.”

I rolled my eyes and did as she said. Sierra disappeared behind the garage door and clicked the car remote in her hand. The room was dark, but the lights and the loud beep echoed loudly, causing me to flinch momentarily.

The light flickered on once we reached the foot of the stairs. “Drive, I’ll indicate.” I was barely able to catch the keys that were close to smacking me in the face.

I dug the key in the ignition and the black car roared to life. We backed out and drove on the gravel road.

“To the city.” She ordered and fumbled with the GPS.

The voice coming from the apparatus led us to a nail and hair salon. Sierra sat near the entrance keeping an eye on her phone and flipped through a magazine.

“I’ll be back in about half an hour. Hopefully you’ll be done by then.” She snatched the keys and darted out of the salon.

Once my nails, hair and including makeup were done with, I tried paying but they denied it.

The skinny clerk giggled. “It’s been taken care of already.”

“I don’t understand.” The day consisted of baffling me over and over. A car honk came from outside. The black car came to a halt near the entrance. Sierra was driving, so I climbed in and slammed the door shut.

“Alright missy, what are you not telling me?” I spat. She didn’t say a word.

“Just wait and see.” A voice came from behind me. It scared me half to death, almost making me pass out.