39 - Promise

The ball reflected in Keishin's eyes as it skimmed past his fingertips. Fear crossed his face, his mouth dropping open. He saw the horror that filled her eyes as the ball was inches away from her face, it too close for her to react. Silenced engulfed the hall. His outreached hand shook as he stared at Yuki, lying on the floor, unmoving.

"YUKI!" Keishin yelled again, sprinting forward and falling to the ground beside her. "Yuki, baby!" His voice laced with worry as his shaking hand made his way to cup her face. She was pale, all the blood drained. He leaned forward, ear by her mouth, trying to feel her breath. but when he did not feel it, he pulled away quickly, his hand reaching for the side of her neck. "Come on, come on," he muttered to himself, trying to stay calm.

He still had no idea what would happen if she got hit in the head, maybe it was something he should have asked, gone to the doctors to find out, so if it ever did happen, he knew what to do.

His main concern was answered when he felt her pulse beating lightly against his finger. He half sighed, relieved she was not killed in an instant, but she was still unconscious, and there was no clear indication of what was happening in her head.

"Go to the medical room!" He looked up to Kiyoko, by then, all of Karasuno had crowded around him and Yuki. Kiyoko stared mindlessly for a moment. "KIYOKO!" She snapped away from her trance and nodded before sprinting off. "Takeda phone the ambulance!" Keishin was unaware Takeda was already mid phone call.

Keishin looked back down to Yuki, tears forming in his eyes, his hand on the side of her face. What could he do? What should he do? He cursed to himself for not doing more beforehand to prepare for such a situation. But how could he know? How could anyone have known this could have happened. He never thought of it as a possibility, not really, he simply told the nurse about Yuki's condition to calm his nerves.

"Yuki! Yuki!" Nishinoya cried as he fell down beside his sister. "Wake up! Please!" He tried to grab her by the front of her shirt, trying to shake her awake but Keishin stopped him.

"She's okay!" Keishin told Noya.

"No, she's not, sh-"

"She's breathing!" Keishin reasoned as the medical staff ran in. Keishin's eyes stayed on Yuki as they cleared away the crowd. He wanted nothing more than to be by her side, but he needed to be strong, for the team. The ambulance arrived in minutes, and no one could do anything but watch. No one except the Karasuno team really knew how dire the situation was.

"We're taking her to the hospital. Is anyone here related to her?" One of the medical staff asked, approaching the team.

"I am!" Noya stepped forward, his voice shaky.

"You can come with us." Noya looked to Keishin as if asking permission.

Keishin nodded, walking foward to grab his things. "I'll get there as soon as possible."

"If you leave, you forfeit." Keishin did not see who spoke, but he completely forgot about the match for a few minutes - his mind solely focused on Yuki.

He stopped in his tracks, reality hitting.

"Fine, I agree t-to these three things. But I have my own c-condition. If something were to happen to me. I want you to prioritise t-the team. No matter what. They need to get to nationals- n-no matter what. I need you to promise me that. The team over me."

His eyes closed as he remembered her words. When they finally talked after their argument. His promise. His hand balled into a fist. He could not believe what he was about to do.

"Coach?" Noya said.

Keishin opened his eyes to see the team staring at him, then to the side at Yuki being taken away, out of the hall. He sucked in a quick breath.