7 - Inter-High Tournament

The week coming up to the Inter-High Tournament had become a week Yuki was fond of. There was a new intensity when she entered the gym Monday afternoon; everyone was focused on nothing but the upcoming competition and how they had to improve.

Yuki took it upon herself to talk to each member of the team individually, telling them about their best qualities and what needed working on. Everyone seemed happy with her advice, and the end of the session arrived quicker than she expected.

"See you later, Yuki!" Yū waved as he left the gym.

"See ya..." she mumbled. She was left alone, and she pulled at the bottom of her sleeves uncomfortably. She did not know what to do. She didn't want to try jumping again to ultimately fail again, but she had nowhere else to go. She could just stay in the gym, but that gave her the creeps. Sitting alone in the quiet and darkness was bound to bring unnecessary noises.

"Do you have any plans for today then?" Ukai's voice pulled her from her daydream. He had his bag over his arm and car keys in hand.

"I-I," she truly was lost for words, her finger tapped anxiously on her leg as she pondered an answer, her eyes avoiding contact with his. Eventually, she told him, "I-I don't k-know."

He sighed as his hand rubbed the back of his neck. "I can't call off work again like last time-"

"No! P-please, I'm f-fine don't worry a-about me, g-go t-to work!" She gave a 90-degree bow, her cheeks glowing red.

"Look, uh, you can come to my back office in the shop, if you'd like-" Yuki slowly raised, as her ears grew pink and one of her eyebrows subtly rose. "Oh - wait - no - that sounds weird - I just - if you have nowhere to go - the back office is free for you to use - for whatever you want - or not - you could just stay in front -"

"I-I don't want t-to be a p-pain..." Ukai was secretly glad that she had interrupted his sputtering of words.

"You won't," he gave a broad grin "the store is normally empty anyway, and I'd be happy to talk about your notes and the inter -highs - again only if you want, I'd just feel better knowing you were in the back office - urgh - no - I just don't want you to get lost in the city is all." Yuki was usually the one who radiated nervous energy, so it was an amusing sight to see it was the other way round for once.

"I'd l-like that, t-thank you." Yuki gave a friendly smile, cooling Ukai's nerves.

From that day on, for the rest of the week, Yuki spent more time with Ukai than she did her family. They talked for many hours each day, at first it was primarily Volleyball, but soon conversations were taken in other directions. They learnt about each other's childhoods and families.

"The n-name Ukai always d-did s-seem familiar to m-me, b-but I didn't k-know why."

"He used to talk a lot about you. He liked that you were so keen to learn, even if it did mean playing with the boys at times."

"Nishinoya, get over here!" Coach Ukai called on the girl.

"Yes?"

"I want you to hit a spike for me, show these boys how it's done." Yuki could not help but feel pride in herself, Ukai was a very well respected Coach, and for him to do such a thing meant one way or another, you were doing something right. "Ragyon, go to the other side and try to receive it."

"Please Coach, why not let Udai spike it. Give me some sort of challenge," the boy laughed. Coach Ukai huffed and smirked towards Yuki. He turned his back to the team and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Give him hell."

"As you wish, Coach."

Ragyon stood opposite Yuki; he smirked and raised an eyebrow to her. "Don't go easy on me now." Usually, Ukai would shut down such comments, but he knew Nishinoya could do it herself.