5 - Eye Opener

The sound of hands slapping a volleyball was at first unnerving, but as time passed, it became a sound she found familiarity with - it was a reminder of where she was, and why she was there.

"Sorry Hinata that was too hard, go for another one!" Ukai's voice was strong with a hint of guilt as he spiked the ball too hard towards the redhead. Hinata ignored his comment, racing towards the ball. Yuki watched him subtly through her fringe, her eyes slightly glancing up from her notepad.

The ball was going far faster than usual, and Yuki was surprised Hinata had gotten behind it at all. The ball smacked the small redhead arms, a loud clapping sound echoed the hall and then silence. Hinata had returned the ball perfectly to where the setter would stand. He was just as shocked as everyone else.

"Did you see that?" Hinata broke the silence with a yell and a jump. "It was like whoosh, and I was like whoosh, and then it was like bam, but now I'm like ahhhhhh cause it really hurts!"

"How the hell did you receive that?" Ukai's voice was high-pitched and confused.

"It's because of Nishinoya!" Hinata replied with a toothy smile. Everyone looked to Yū.

"When did you have time to teach him that? We hung out the whole weekend!" Tanaka laughed at the shorter boy.

"No not that Nishinoya!" Hinata cried. "That one!" He pointed to Yuki whose eyes widened as she became the centre of attention. "On Friday, she told me to try receiving with my eyes closed. At first, I was confused, and when I was trying it, I kept hitting my face, but I continued anyway, and slowly I started to understand. When it hits my arms now, I'm like boom while before I was like bam!" Hinata was over excited and babbled. Yuki struggled to keep up, but it made her giggle.

"G-good job, H-Hinata!" She said with a cheesy smile and a thumbs up. Hinata grew red but gave a sunshine smile.

The session went on as usual, and Ukai could not help but glance over to Yuki. He was impressed, but part of him worried it was just a fluke that Hinata received his spike.

When Hinata was up again, everyone watched with eagle eyes.

"Same as before coach!"

"Alright, little red, ready?" Hinata gave the nod before Ukai spiked the ball just as hard as before. Unknowingly Yuki leaned forward, waiting for the impact. Hinata was just as quick as before, getting behind the ball and into his stance no problem. She held her breath as the ball spun towards him at high speeds. It connected with his arm, the same slapping sound echoing but this time the ball did not return, instead, it rebounded up and into his face.

Hinata was on the floor before anyone could react. Everyone was quick to crowd him as it was a rather hard hit. Yuki did not move but gave out a huffed chuckle when Hinata stood up with a red patch on his forehead. She looked up to the blonde coach who chuckled, his hand awkwardly scratching the back of his head. He apologised to Hinata before meeting her eyes.

"I g-guess the first o-one w-was just a fluke," she said with a closed eye smile. Ukai smirked and agreed.

By the end of the receiving session, volleyballs scattered the hall and Ukai had gotten the boys running around collecting them. Yuki was finishing off some notes when she heard someone call her name.

"Can you grab that ball near you?" It was Ukai. She gave a nod and jogged over to the ball that sat in the corner.

"See ya tomorrow, Captain!"

"See you!" Yuki replied as she walked to pick up a stranded volleyball that was left in the corner.

"You nervous for the inter-highs tomorrow?" The vice-captain asked, leaning on the wall. Yuki picked the ball up as she pondered the question. "If we lose it'll be our last tournament in high school."