9 - The Big Day

Eight o'clock was the time Yuki's grandfather finally fell asleep on the sofa with the TV still on in the background. It was something he had always done, and something Yuki remembers her grandmother telling him off about. Yuki sniffled a laugh as she thought back to the time her grandmother added salt to her grandfather's drink when he fell asleep during her favourite movie.

Yuki reached over for the remote as he snored quietly, changing the channel to something more interesting. She laid back as she skipped through multiple channels, nothing catching her eye.

DING

Yuki's eyebrows scrunched together as she picked up her phone, seeing a message pop up on her screen, it was from Ukai with a link of some sort.

From Ukai:

This is a video of the team we will be playing tomorrow. Don't feel like you have to watch it but I thought I'd send it just in case you wanted too. Have a good night.

Yuki bit the inner of her cheek as she tried to suppress her smile.

"Hey, why did you change the channel? I was watching that," Yuki's Grandfather grumbled, his eyes slightly open. Yuki chuckled and shook her head.

"Sorry, I'm a-am heading to b-bed. Here you g-go." Yuki passed back the remote control.

"Bed? It's a bit early."

"I've got a f-few t-things to do b-before I s-sleep. Goodnight."

"Okay, see you in the morning sweetheart."

Yuki spent the next few hours of the night watching the Aoba Johsai match, her book filled with notes on their players, their playstyle and skill. There was one that stood out to her, the setter, Oikawa Tōru. He was what made Aobajohsai so strong. Not only was he a skilled player but was highly intelligent, which was what made him such a great player. He understood his team and knew what play would be best to get his team a point, and his serves themselves were a weapon on its own. Karasuno was going to be pushed to their limits, but after rewatching the Aoba Johsai match multiple times, she saw the few cracks in their team. She just had to give the right advice at the correct time to Karasuno during the match. If Yuki simply told the team everything they may get confused or overwhelmed with information. She only needed to tell them things that they needed to know at the right time.

Eventually, Yuki fell asleep, phone in hand and pen and notepad on the floor. Despite how anxious she felt for the following day, she slept peacefully.

BEEP. BEEP.

Yuki's eyes shot open. Her cheek squashed against the pillow and arms wrapped around it. Her phone flashed, and she stared at it, listening to the beeping for a few moments. Her hand slipped from under the pillow and grabbed the phone, swiping up on the screen and putting it to silence. She turned onto her back and stared up at the ceiling. Today was the day she would truly face her fears head-on. She could not run again. She would not.

Yuki forced herself up and was quick to have a shower. She stayed in a bit longer than usual as she reran the Abojohsai match in her head. She needed to know as much as she could about them if Karasuno wanted to beat them. She needed to identify their strengths and weaknesses so that she could ensure her team's victory. Two teams could be matched in skill, but it's the one that understands and outplays their opponent that would win.

The Karasuno Boys Volleyball Team jacket hugged her body, Yuki analysed herself in the mirror, she tugged at the sleeves and fixed the collar. The nerves were kicking it, and her stomach turned. She picked up her notepad and phone before making her ways downstairs. Her mind was elsewhere as she took a seat at the table, and did not realise the food that was put in front of her.