36 - The Key to Improving

Yuki stood outside the building that brought her many memories. She wished she could have had a moment to be nostalgic, but the sound of Hinata yelling from the back garden did not allow for it. She sighed softly and made her way around the back of the building. She stood to the side, watching Hinata as he practised.

"How can I help you today, Nishinoya?" Yuki jumped at Old Coach Ukai's voice. She did not think anyone knew she was there. She cleared her throat and walked forward out from the shadows.

"Wanted to come to see h-how he's doing," she replied, crossing her arms over her chest, coping his stance.

"He's doing well. As energetic as ever."

"Always is."

The two stood together and watched in silence. Yuki knew the real reason she was there, and she assumed Coach Ukai also knew she was there for more than just seeing Hinata practise.

"I heard you're dating my grandson." Coach Ukai said nonchalantly, Yuki's eyes widened, before looking to the ground, her cheeks growing red.

"Yes, I am," she mumbled, feeling embarrassed. "I hope I have your blessing," she joked softly.

"Hmm. You're too good for him, you know." Her head snapped to look at him, her eyebrows furrowed together.

"Me too good for K-Keishin?" He did not look at her but gave a nod. She huffed a laugh. "I think you'll find i-it's the other way around, sir." Ukai's eyebrows raised, his eyes glancing to her. He was unconvinced.

"Your grandson is amazing, sir." She started, finding a sudden urge to defend her other half. "He's the reason I'm able to play again. He helped me when he didn't need too. He changed his work schedule so he could coach Karasuno, he does tons of research on the side, so when we go into a match, we'll have the advantage. If im honest, I don't think he needs me. He could take them to Nationals by himself." Ukai gazed in the distance, watching Hinata, though she knew he was still listening. "He's the reason I have to another chance to be a pro." Ukai eyes met hers in an instant.

"A pro?"

"Keishin b-brought a scout to our match yesterday. A Scout for the women's national team. I have a trial in January." Ukai's eyes widened then relaxed, smirking, arms on his waist.

"That's why you're here. You want me to train you?"

"Yes. I need to be better than I-I was at Nationals, but I've only got a few months. You're the only one that can do it."

Ukai's eyes glanced back to Hinata. "I won't go easy on you."

"I wouldn't come to you if I-I wanted it to be easy."

He looked back and huffed a laugh. "Fine, if you're willing to put in the work.

"I am."

"Then I'll see you at 7 am tomorrow."

"7 am? Can't we do after I coach with K-Karasuno? Like pm?"

"We are."

"B-b-b-"

"We're doing both. You've got a long way to go if you want to be the same player you were at Nationals. If that's too much for you, might as well call it quits now."

Yuki smiled. It had only been a few seconds, and he was already testing her. "I'll be here. Both at pm and am." She looked past Ukai and to Hinata. "Hinata lets g-get going to practise!" She yelled, already walking away.

"We start tomorrow morning. Don't be late!" Coach Ukai called after her.

"I won't!"

-