Chapter 31

[The Mute Alpha - Chapter 31]

***

Kian and I hid behind a thick tree, poking our heads around the side. In front of us stood a wooden cabin the size of a mini mansion. The back of the building overlooked a steep cliff, the snow-capped mountains and frozen lakes and rivers off in the distance. The scenery looked like it belonged in a National Geographic Movie. Someone could make some decent money if they did a little bit of photography here. It was absolutely breathtaking. I must say this man had a gorgeous home and  found the most perfect location for it.

The front of the structure contained a large door with a couple tall windows flanking it. A staircase with fancy railings led to the front porch.

A buff man stood at the entrance holding a rifle, leaning against the column by the railing lining the porch. He appeared to be bored as he used his nail to pick at one of his teeth. From the tree across from us, I spotted Janet lifting up her gun and pointing it at the guard. She pulled the trigger, and a dart shot out and landed on his chest. He face-planted to the ground with a small thud.

Daniel snuck around the house with his weapon prepared for any moment. He checked the perimeter for other rogues guarding from the outside. Once he made it back around, he gave us a thumbs up and slunk to the back door. Janet moved towards the front porch while Kian and I snuck to the side of the house, where there was supposed to be a side entrance.

"Before you open that door, I want to test something," Kian whispered to me as he pointed his gun towards the ground. Before I could question him, he pulled the trigger. To my surprise, nothing happened. "Figures."

He tossed the gun away from him and grabbed mine, doing the same thing.

"They're double crossing us, Autumn," he stated, sliding his bag off his shoulder. "Good thing I thought ahead and came up with my own plan."

"Huh?" my eyebrows shot up. "What made you think that?"

"I heard them on the phone with someone last night. At first I didn't think much of it, but when she mentioned the name "Keanu", I realized that was the person she conversed with on the phone," he answered as he shuffled through his bag. "I don't know how much of the information she gave us was true, but we're on our own here. Which is why I stole some of their shit"

I stood there dumbfounded as he pulled out a different gun from the bag and handed it to me. The object felt icy in my hands, but my grip tightened anyways. "It's a good thing they taught us about some of these weapons in school. You know to prepare us for situations like this. This one should be loaded, hopefully. I also grabbed some extra amo."

"Wow, I'm sure glad you're here," I grinned, giving him a quick hug. "I probably would've died already if it wasn't for you."

He chuckled at my comment. Then something crossed my mind. "How come you never told me? I could've been useful."

He shrugged. "I figured you'd probably do a bad job at hiding your suspicions. They would've caught on."

I thought for a moment. "Yeah, you're probably right."

"So they're expecting us to come in through here, so we should probably go in a different way," Kian suggested, motioning me to follow him. "I looked at the map that she had and I saw another way in."