Chapter 17

Song: Let You Down by NF

[The Mute Alpha - Chapter 17]

*Unedited*

•••

Or so I thought it was the best sleep I've ever gotten. Unfortunately, nothing is ever perfect in this cruel world.

I jolted awake when the door swung open, hitting the wall with a loud bang. Autumn and I quickly sat up in the bed, startled. A person stood at the door, huffing and puffing. "We need to go to the hospital, now," Theo said, panic laced in his voice.

"What?" Autumn mumbled, rubbing her tired eyes as she released a yawn.

"Something happened to Malia. We've got to go!" Theo yelled before rushing out of the room. Autumn and I stared at each other with wide eyes for a couple of seconds. Next thing I knew, we were jumping out of bed, throwing on clothes, and following Theo to the car. Anthony wasn't with us, so I assumed he was already there.

The car sped down the road to the hospital, taking no longer than five minutes. We jumped out of the car and ran inside to Malia's room.

Policemen scattered the hallway and there was yellow tape blocking the door. Yells and angry cries echoed through out the hall as Anthony shouted at some of them as well as some nurses and doctors. "How could you let this fucking happen!" he shouted, his wolf surfacing.

"What happened?" Autumn asked as we got closer. Theo's face paled and I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I pushed past some officers and stepped over the tape. My jaw clenched at what I saw. I could hear Autumn gasp when she followed after me. Autumn covered her mouth with her hand and released a sob.

Blood coated the floor and bed and the sheets were ripped up. Malia's body laid lifelessly on the drenched bed, barely recognizable. Glass crunched under my shoes as I moved closer.

The curtains by the window, painted with blood, blew in the breeze. The glass from the window was scattered on the bed and the floor, some of the pieces stuck to Malia's skin. Her dark hair was also soaked and sprawled across the red pillow.

"Jax," Autumn choked out. I turned to face Autumn, who looked sick. Her wide eyes were focused on something else and her body trembled with fear. My eyes searched for what she was looking at and I felt my heart stop when my eyes landed on what she was pointing at.

Autumn.

Her name was spelled out on the wall in blood.

"W-Why is my name up there," she stammered, her voice trembling.

My eyes stared up at the bloodied lettering. It felt as if my heart had gave up on me as I just stood frozen, not moving, not breathing, not blinking. I'm not going to be able to protect her. There's no way in hell I can. This man is extremely dangerous and he's not going to stop until he gets what he wants.

'We need to leave,' I said to Theo. I grabbed Autumn's hand and tugged her out of the room as fast as I could. We need to get back to my pack, because there's no way we can hide from him. He'll find us either way. She'd be more protected at my pack than anywhere else.

Anthony was still screaming at the nurses, "You were suppose to be taking care of her!"

"Alpha-"

"We have to leave," Theo informed him, cutting the nurse off. Anthony spun around, his glossy eyes blazing with fury and sorrow. Then his eyes wandered over to Autumn. He slowly nodded his head, blinking back tears.