Chapter 2

[The Mute Alpha - Chapter 2]

Song: Body Like a Back Road by Sam Hunt

•••

After cooling down a bit, I couldn't sleep. My wolf and I remained restless. Unconsciousness wouldn't take over, so I decided to go out for a run. My wolf needed to get let out. When I exited the house, I allowed the sweatpants to fall from my waist. I shivered slightly at the feeling of the cool air dancing across my bare skin. At the same time, I loved it.

Once I was ready, I allowed my wolf to take control of my body. The bones shifted and rearranged themselves as blond fur poked through the skin covering me. When I completely shifted, I broke off running in the direction of the beach a few miles away, towards the southern borders.

The cool breeze blew through my fur as I bolted. The moon lit the sky along with the millions of twinkling stars. The trees became fewer the closer I got to the coastal beach. I could faintly see the ocean off in the distance. A few minutes later, I reached the sandy coast line. The cool sand stuck to my paws as I trekked across it, nearing the water. The sound of waves filled my ears and I could practically taste the salt in the air.

Seagulls chirped to each other as they swooped by. I halted once I reached the edge of the water. I laid down on the sand and gazed off into the distance, watching the horizon where the sky met the water.

Sometimes I wondered what was like over there. Far away from everything. Just water and its inhabitants. A second world.

I always came to forget about everything. A nice place to think. Dusk and dawn were the best times to visit, because the area was abandoned. Peace and quiet. I never brought anyone here with me. I always came out alone. Not even with Theo.

Hours passed by. All I did was think and admire the beautiful stars and the calm water. Staring up at the sky, I watched it transition as dawn arrived. The dark sky changed to one of pinks, purples, and oranges. A beautiful sight. The stars soon vanished as the big ball of fire peaked above the horizon, forcing the moon to back away from it's position. My surroundings began to awaken when the sunlight woke them up from their slumber.

A flock of seagulls zoomed by, talking to each other in a language I couldn't comprehend. Turtles slowly walked across the sandy beach, trying to reach the cool salty water, and crabs scurried around with their large shells on their backs. The cool air turned hotter by the second, but the wind picked up.

Standing up in my large wolf form, with one last look at the crashing waves, I turned around and took off. The run back was nice. The trees that surrounded me blocked out the light from the sun, keeping it from shining down on me and making it unbearably hot. Birds sang and squirrels scurried away when I passed by.

By the time I reached the house, the sun was fully set in the sky, the beautiful sunrise colors gone and replaced by a bright, cerulean blue.

When I entered, voices sounded from the sitting room. Walking through the entry hallway, I made my way into the room. The first thing I noticed when I came in was the person sitting on the black leather couch, chatting with Theo.

It was a woman.

Her auburn hair was pulled up into a tight bun and glasses perched on her pointed nose. She wore a white blouse, the two top buttons undone, and a grey pencil skirt.

Both her and Theo looked over at me, stopping their conversation when they noticed my presence.

'Who is this?' I asked Theo as I scrutinized the sophisticated woman, not enjoying the way she ogled at me. 'And why is she here?'