Chapter 24

Song: Haze by Fabian Secon

[Chapter 24 - The Mute Alpha]

***

I glanced down at the blank envelope in my hand and slowly opened it. When I pulled out the letter and read it, my fingers clenched the paper in anger.

Fucking hell.

My breathing stopped as I stared down at the sloppy words written on wrinkled paper. My heart beated at a pace that had me clutching my chest. A low growl rumbled from the back of my throat.

Come alone. If you bring back up or don't show up, then the same thing that happened to your parents will happen to your sexy, little bitch.  It would be a shame if something happened to her. Be smart, Alpha Jaxton.
~K

On the back was the address he wanted me to go to. What angered me even more was the photograph attached to the letter. My blood boiled as I stared at a photo of Autumn. Her bare back faced the camera as she changed, only wearing a pair of black thongs. Someone watched her through her window. How? I wasn't sure, but the thought of her privacy being violated like that made my vision turn red in fury. I couldn't think straight.

Next thing I knew, I pounded my anger away on the bag, imagining it was that man. The fucker who murdered my parents and threatened my mate. I wanted his heart in my hand. I wanted him dead.

I wanted revenge.

After my bag fell off its hinges, I got too frustrated to even bother fixing it. Instead, I stormed off to my room where Autumn slept soundly. I walked over to the window and immediately shut the blinds. I don't need any shitheads watching my mate sleep.

I took my sweaty self to the bathroom and turned on the shower. Once I finished, I changed into clean clothes. After that, I went over to my closet to pack some necessities. I sat my bag down by the door and climbed in bed next to my mate. I wanted to cuddle with her for a little bit before leaving.

I had no choice but to follow through with this guy's plan. Whoever the hell this K person was.

When I slid next to her, my arms immediately snaked around her waist and pulled her tightly against my body. She nuzzled her face into my chest and I suddenly felt the anger inside me ease down a little. My eyes watered at the thought of losing her like my parents. I'd have no one again...

I wasn't sure if my body could handle the pain of losing another loved one, especially my other half. I buried my face in her hair, inhaling her sweet scent. I loved her so much, I'd do anything to protect her. Even if it meant giving up my life, because I would die happy knowing she was safe.

After a couple hours, I reluctantly got up. With one last glance at my beautiful mate, I left the room, carrying my bag over my shoulder. I stopped by my office and quickly typed in the address on my phone and scribbled a note explaining where I went. When I finished, I exited the house, locking the door behind me. Climbing inside my car, I began my journey to find this asshole.

***

*Autumn's POV*

My eyes slowly opened as I released a yawn. Stretching, I felt around for the warmth I was used to. However, when I touched the cool, empty space, I rolled over to take a peak. Frowning, I glanced around the room. I was alone.

Where was Jax?

He was probably working, but usually he didn't get up before me.

Shrugging, I slid out of the cozy bed and trudged into the bathroom to wash up. After showering, I brushed my hair and teeth before putting on a tank top and a pair of shorts.