Chapter 16

Song: Dancing's Not a Crime by Panic! At the Disco

[The Mute Alpha - Chapter 16]

*Unedited*

•••

*Jax's POV*

Lately Autumn has been acting weird. She's been sending me strange looks and she keeps staring at my arms. I don't understand why. Maybe something's bothering her...

"Alpha," a voice said, bringing me back from my thoughts. I looked up at the door to my office. Ryland stood by the door with a worried expression on his face. I sat straighter in my chair. I nodded my head, motioning for him to proceed. He hesitated at first before opening his mouth, "Uh...Alpha Anthony..." he trailed off with a frown. I rose an eyebrow, urging him to continue. "There was a rogue attack. His mate..."

I quickly stood up and rushed out of the room, Ryland following behind me. 'Theo,' I mind-linked, 'Get the car started.'

It didn't take Theo long to reply, 'Yes, Alpha.' I quickly walked down the hall to my room where I grabbed a bag and shoved some clothes in it. Then I pulled my phone out and sent Autumn a text telling her to come home. She was hanging out with her new friend at the mall.

It didn't take her long to come back home. And when she did, she quickly ran up the stairs and found me in her room packing her bag. She stared at me in confusion. "What's going on?" she asked. I showed her my phone since I had already typed the answer. She gasped. "I hope she's okay..." 

I continued digging through her drawers. I smirked when I came across something familiar. I glanced at Autumn and when she wasn't looking, I stuffed them in her bag. Once I was done, I picked up her bag along with mine and carried them down to the car where Theo was waiting.

He tossed me the keys and we all got in. The car was completely silent, no one speaking a word. Autumn gazed out the window, looking dazed. I wonder what's going on in her mind. If only I could read her mind.

Then my mind wandered over to Alpha Anthony and his mate. I felt so bad for him. I can't imagine what he's going through. If something happened to my mate, I'd be going insane.

My hands tightened around the steering wheeling, my knuckles turning the color of paper. What if something does happen to her? Especially since he is after her.

The whole ride to Anthony's pack was endless and uneventful. I parked the car on the driveway in front of Anthony's house. We all got out with our bags and went to the front door. Theo rang the door bell and we waited until the door opened, revealing a tired and stressed looking Anthony. His hair was untamed and he had large, dark circles under his eyes.

When he saw me, he stepped forward and gave me a hug. Then he stepped back and motioned for us to go inside. "There are two spare rooms upstairs. Put your things in there and then meet me here. I was going to head over to the pack hospital to check up on Malia, if you guys wanted to come."

'Yeah, let's go with him,' I told Theo. He nodded and told Anthony that we were coming with him. We trudged up the fancy staircase and we were met with a big open room that contained doors.

"Anthony said that one of the guest rooms are down that way," Theo said pointing in one direction and then he pointed the other way, "And the other guest room is over there."

Autumn and I nodded and went one way as Theo walked in the opposite direction. As we entered the bedroom. The room was average but looked comfortable. There was a large King-sized bed by the wall with two nightstands on the sides of it. There were a couple windows and two doors, one leading to the bathroom and one to the closet.