Chapter 7

( 𝐈𝐃𝐘𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐂 )

❝ ✧ *  𝖜𝖗𝖎𝖙𝖙𝖊𝖓 𝖇𝖞: 𝗲𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗻𝗮  * ✧ ❞

   ASTORIA WAS ANXIOUS as ever. She couldn't bear to think what she would do without the 3 Pevensie siblings if they didn't make it. She was scared for the Narnian army, the 3 siblings, and Caspian. Lucy wasn't doing much better than Astoria.

The two were currently pacing around the cavernous corridors of the How. Peering over at Lucy, Astoria could tell that the younger girl was beginning to wilt. Her eyes filled with concern and worry and she walked furiously around the room.

The embrace of slumber was approaching, and knowing the two would do much better with some sleep, Astoria quietly walked over to the younger girl and took her hand beckoning her to go to bed as she saw her eyelids dropping ever so slightly.

"Come on Lu," Astoria said gently, "Let's try and get some sleep. I think we could both use some shut-eye."

Lucy simply at girl before her whom she saw as her older sister, holding her hand tightly as they moved towards the stone table which wasn't the most ideal place for sleep obviously, but it was better than nothing.

Once seated, Lucy lay down upon her side, and rested her head in Astoria's lap. "I wish I could help win a battle like my siblings." Lucy whispered.

"You know, I'm supposed to be out there helping to." Astoria whispered. "Goodnight, Lu."

"Goodnight, Tori."

***

Astoria had been asleep for what felt like only a minute at most.

Her slumber had been interrupted, shaken awake a rather energetic Lucy Pevensie.

"What is it, Lucy?" Astoria mumbled groggily.

"They're back!" Lucy exclaimed.

At this, Astoria ran at a lightning speed through the How with Lucy trailing behind her, towards the bright light at the end of the labyrinth of stone tunnels and the archway where the two girls spotted the army, but only about 2/3 of what it used to be.

Their plan had failed.

Even after all the planning, even with the suggestion that Aslan might return, thanks to Lucy, and they still failed.

They came to be greeted by a solemn bunch of Narnians and three exasperated teenagers.

"I take it that I didn't go very well?" Astoria asked, concerned.

"What happened?" Lucy asked, her eyes laced with sadness and disappointment.

"Ask him." Peter spat, shooting a poisonous glare at Caspian.

"Peter." Susan warned, shooting her brother a competing glare with the one Peter originally shot at Caspian.

"Me?" Caspian shot. "You could have called it off. There was still time." Caspian's eyes flicked towards Astoria for support, but Astoria couldn't take sides, much to Caspian's dismay.

"No there wasn't, thanks to you." Peter shot back, his steps halting as he turned to face Caspian. "If you'd kept to the plan, those soldiers might be alive right now."

Astoria was dumbfounded at the scene unfolding before her. She couldn't even bring herself to speak, completely appalled by Peter and Caspian's childish behavior.

"And, if you'd just stayed here like I suggested, then they definitely would be!" Caspian snapped, his posture becoming more stiff.

"You called us remember!" Peter hissed.

"My first mistake." Caspian glared.

"No." Peter interrupted. "Your first mistake was thinking you could lead these people."

"Peter, Caspian. Stop." Astoria interfered. She couldn't take their senseless bickering anymore. "You two better stop acting like children and grow up."

"Shut up, Astoria. You weren't even there. Your opinions don't really matter as of the moment." Peter spat as he began to walk away from everyone into the How.

"Hey!" Caspian shouted at Peter's retreating figure, his voice laced with pure rage and venom. "I'm not the one who abandoned Narnia!"

"You invaded Narnia." Peter snapped back.

Caspian brushed past Peter, stalking towards the entrance of the How. "You have no more right to be here than Miraz does! You, him, your father... Narnia is better off without the lot of you."

Caspian had had enough and turned to face the High King, drawing his sword. Peter drew his too, preparing himself to engage in what would be a fight to gain total control over the Narnian forces.

"Stop it!" Edmund shouted, drawing the attention of both boys towards him before Astoria could tell the boys off herself.

Astoria's eyes drifted over to Lucy who ran over to an injured dwarf with cordial in her hand and dropped some of the liquid into his mouth, causing his eyes to slowly peel open.

"What are you all standing around for? The Telmarines will be here soon enough." Trumpkin said as Lucy got up from her place beside him, smiling softly. "Thank you, my dear little friend."

Turning away from the sweet scene, Astoria turned to Caspian who was heading into the How. "Caspian, wait." She called out to the prince.

"Leave me alone." He spat, not bothering to turn around towards her.

"No, Caspian. We have to talk about-"

"No. We don't. Peter was right. You weren't there. You didn't fight. But if you found out that your uncle was the one that murdered your father, I'd expect you to seek revenge as well." He paused. "I don't want to talk to you, so get away from me and leave me alone." And with that he walked away into the dark stone-ridden building.

She understood that Caspian was mad at himself and the army for not being able to take down his uncle, yet somehow his words sliced her heart like a dagger piercing through.