"Because I like seeing you smile."

A/N - Next instalment, hope you all enjoy!

***

The group was still in the lab when Kara's extrapolator beeped, indicating she was needed back home. With the excitement of their discovery to return Kara's powers, they had only been gone a few days, but Kara didn't want to think of what could have happened in a few days after last time. Rao knows what Reign could have done if she'd resurfaced.

It was a surprise, none of them had expected to hear anything from Earth 38 for another day at least, and even then, it was only going to be when Kara and Lena went home.

"Kara?" Caitlin asked, placing the tablet she was holding onto the table in front of her.

It didn't take a genius (despite there being many in the room) to know that something was very wrong for them to want Kara back in National City. "Reign." She didn't speak loudly, but it had gone so quiet they all heard her.

Lena stepped in front of Kara before the blonde could start to panic too much. "You don't know that for sure. Until we know what is going on, you can't let yourself panic about countless things that could happen." It was valid advice, but it didn't do much to help Kara. Thankfully, Lena did see some panic leave Kara's eyes.

"Well, if it is this Reign woman, would you like us to come with you? Provide some back-up should you need it?" Barry asked, the hero having been rather silent this morning beside the original congratulations.

The mention of Reign by someone else seemed to snap Kara out of whatever trance she seemed to be in because she blinked several times, mentally shaking herself for the day ahead of her. "Please, but understand, I am asking you to let me fight her. She is a Kryptonian and no offense, but our last training session tells me things will go badly if you try and engage with her." Kara levelled Barry, Caitlin, and Cisco with a look. "I don't want to see any of you injured or worse helping me fight my battle."

"Fair enough." Cisco rubbed the back of his neck. "I can still feel the hit you gave Barry when you were training for the Dominators invasion."

Barry grimaced. "You can feel it, I've dodged heat vision that was a little too close for comfort." Kara flinched at that, her actions when she was mind controlled not something she remembered, but he had told her when she asked. It was worse than Red Kryptonite, at least with that she remembered what she'd done to people.

"I'm sorry for that... again." Kara picked at her fingers as she tried not to look at Lena, not wanting to admit that she had lost control a second time since becoming Supergirl.

Her efforts didn't work as Lena grabbed her hands, forcing her to look at her. "Whatever happened, I know it wasn't your fault." Lena smiled at her, it was small, but it was there, and Kara released a breath she didn't know she was holding. Part of her had needed to know that Lena wasn't scared of her, scared of the possibility happening again, like Kara was.

"We'll get ready and we'll head to your Earth together." Several of them nodded at Barry's words, stopping what they had been doing to change. In seconds, Kara and Lena were left in the lab waiting as Kara's brow formed the familiar crinkle that Lena had seen too many times.

Without thinking, she pulled the blonde into a hug that she melted into, her head turning into the crook of her neck. "You have help with you this time. She doesn't stand a chance." Her words were encouraging, and she could feel the arms around her tighten as Kara nodded into her neck and buried herself as close to her as she could.

"Then why do I feel like this is going to kill me?"

Lena ran her hands through Kara's hair. "Because you aren't done living yet." There was a soft chuckle that tickled her neck as Kara laughed at her sentimental answer.

Kara pulled back enough to see Lena's face. "You're right." One hand came up to stroke her cheek. "I have at least one more thing I want to do before I can let someone try and take me from this world."

Breaking out into a smile, Lena raised an eyebrow. "And what would that be?"

Kara leaned her forehead against Lena's. "Marry you is at the top of my list so far."

Lena grinned. "How can you go from the most oblivious person I know to the most romantic?"

Breathing a laugh, Kara leaned, her lips barely a millimetre from Lena's. "Because I like seeing you smile."

Smiling, Lena closed the final space between them, kissing Kara with all the love she could find in herself for the dorky reporter. Kissing Kara was one of her favourite activities and nothing would be able to top it. The softness of Kara against her was surprising, even after everything, the idea that the Girl of Steel had the softest lips she had ever felt was surprising. A delightful contradiction.

Kissing is exactly how they were found by everyone as they returned, ready to leave for their Earth. Lena couldn't look anyone in the eye when she and Kara finally pulled apart, Kara's selective abilities more of an annoyance in that moment instead of a saving grace. Just once, couldn't she stop them from embarrassing themselves in front of people? Was it really too much to ask?

"So, if you two are done, I was thinking we could head out before it got late on your Earth." Caitlin smiled, trying hard not to grin at the two of them as she spoke.

Lena coughed and Kara scratched the back of her neck, nodding with the best of intentions to pretend nothing happened. That would be helped if she wasn't as red as a tomato currently. "Let's go then, shall we?" She had to look at Barry for an extrapolator, hers still missing and presumably in the hands of Lex or Eve.

"Right." Barry grabbed his extrapolator from his pocket, the small metal object forming a portal to Earth-38 with the click of a button. "After you two." He grinned. "I don't want to find Alex pointing a gun at me if any of us step through first."

Caitlin and Cisco laugh, neither of them fully understanding just how possible that was for Alex. "I'd be more worried about what we could be walking in on if this goes to my apartment." Kara laughed but cringed at the idea of genuinely needing to burn everything in her apartment after leaving the villainesses alone.

Lena laughs, a gush of wind telling her Kara had gone to get their bags. "Word of warning, don't touch any surface before it's been burned or at least sanitised." Kara returned as she finished speaking, the group nodding even if they didn't fully understand what she was talking about.

Holding her hand out, Lena took the outstretched hand and looked at the portal as Kara urged them both forward. Please don't be having sex on Kara's couch.