Secrets

'Now that I think about it, he's definitely going to open a music shop. It just seems right.' Maggie leaned on the sink in the girl's bathroom. She was talking to Myrtle who apparently was a great conversationalist and nice girl, once you got past her mood swings of course. Maggie sometimes went to her during free periods or breaks, when she felt too tired to read. Myrtle always knew how to cheer her up and she knew how to do the same for Myrtle.

'It's a shame. He has the most wonderful singing voice.' Myrtle did flips near the bathroom ceiling.

'He does?' Maggie laughed and nearly toppled off the sink.

'Yes, I can hear it through the plumbing.' Myrtle giggled. Maggie loved it when she laughed at it. It sounded like what a bright summer's day would sound like.

'How come he didn't join the music club?'

'He said he's already had enough of children.'

'You know that's funny cause I remember-' Maggie started but was quickly cut off by her friend, pointing at her watch.

'Maggie look at the time. You're going to be late for class.' Maggie looked at her wrist. She had five minutes before class started. She had five minutes to run across the school.

'Oh. That's right. Thank you. See you later Ellie.' She lifted her bag and ran out of the bathroom.

'Bye dearie.' Myrtle called out before disappearing into her u-bend. Maggie ran towards the herbology classroom. She got there a minute before class started.

'You look happy.' Mary said as Maggie plopped down beside her.

'Hm. I guess it's just the good vibes.' Maggie answered nonchalantly. Maybe Fabian asked Mary to check up on her, or something else.

'Hm. Where were you last night? I was looking for you to help me with something.' Mary said leaning closer, eyeing Maggie suspiciously. Maggie's heart dropped. It was the full moon yesterday. She was with the boys.

'I was having an extra class.' She lied. She tried to steady her heartbeat, but it was still beating out of control.

'At 3.27 in the morning?' Mary leaned closer, her brows furrowing.

'More of an impromptu lesson really.' Maggie opened her textbook carefully and started to read a random chapter.

'Did the boys go too?'

'Huh?' Maggie turned quickly. Maybe Mary already knew, but there was no way.

'I noticed they weren't in their room as well.' Mary tapped her pencil against her notebook impatiently.

'Well, I don't know. Maybe they were doing a kitchen run.' Maggie lied smoothly. At this point, she knew that she and the boys need to start coordinating their lies.

'Hmmm. Okay.' Mary was getting tired of the secrets. Everyone was getting tired. They needed to know what was going on.

Later that night, Maggie was getting ready for bed. It was 13 minutes past 10 and she had to get up early tomorrow for quidditch practice. She was a substitute beater but James still insisted on her being at every practice. She was just about to close her curtains when Lily sat on her bed.

'Maggie. You know you can tell us what's going on right?' Lily held Maggie's hand.

'Yeah. I know.' She answered sharply. Maggie was very tired and this was cutting into her sleep time.

'We're a bit concerned.' Lily continued.

'What about?'

'You.' Marlene got up from her bed. 'You run off late at night. You disappear for hours on end. The only times I see you are during classes and quidditch practice.'