505

TW: death and depression, mentions of self-harm

Omolara Richards was very kind and pretty girl from a very very wealthy family. She only spoke when spoken to. She never raised her voice. Her posture was perfect and her small talk was magnificent. Problem was she was never able to engage in it with anyone. You see, Omolara Richards came from a very peculiar family, which people in general avoided. Her family was able to communicate with the dead. This special power caused a strong dislike against her and her siblings in school. They never teased them but they did avoid them. Because anyone who associated with the dead was surely associated with dark magic.

Lawrence Ogunlesi was one of the most popular boys in school. His best friend, Wilberforce, was also quite popular. They were star sports players, often participating in any sports they could lay their hands on in school. They were also exceedingly smart, although they never were the highest in class. Rather, they felt their achievements laid outside the academic field. Lawrence also came from a wealthy family, but his wasn't shunned by society. Instead, they were embraced, celebrated, welcomed with open arms. They came from two not so different worlds with different perspectives.

It was a week before they were to resume for class 6, they heard the news. Wilberforce was dead. He was crossing the street, back in his hometown in Rwanda. He was on his way back from buying a few gifts for Lawrence when a speeding vehicle hit him. He died instantly. When Lawrence heard the news, he fell sick instantly. His best friend of over nine years was dead. All because he wanted to buy something for him. He cried for several days, nonstop. He refused to eat or talk to anyone. He even threatened to take his life. Needless to say, he resumed quite late in the year, a shadow of the person he used to be.

Omolara had heard of Wilberforce death in a strange way, from the dead boy himself. She was reading in the garden when she felt an entity nearby. She ignored the feeling at first until it called her name. She knew better than to ignore an entity, especially one that knew her name. So she got up and greeted it. It was only when she had looked at its face that she realised it was Wilberforce. Tears fell from her eyes as she viewed what her father would call a 'wasted life.' Wasted in the sense that death had stolen this life before he reached his full potential.

'Wilberforce, is that you?' She dropped her book quietly as he moved closer to her table.

'In the flesh.' He laughed 'Well, not in the flesh.' Then he walked through her table, his only his top half showing.

'How did this happen?' She asked and he recalled all the events that occurred from that morning until his family discovered him.

'Does Lawrence know?' She asked again.

'Yes.'

'How is he taking it?' She sat down once more

'Well, that's why I am here.' He sat down on another chair and sighed.

'What happened?' She reached out to grab his hand and squeezed it. He was surprised at how she was able to do that. It was her own special talent. Being able to touch them.

'Lara you have to help me help Laurence.' Tears flowed down he cheeks as he begged the girl to help his friend.

'I will.'

'Lawrence. Are you alright?' Lara sat beside Lawrence on the staircase. He had resumed about a month late and was still struggling to catch up in class. Every time she saw him, he would always be hunched over some book, writing things and muttering to himself. He was no longer the outgoing social butterfly she had remembered and admired. Rather he was a socially shy caterpillar just like her.