Alchemy

Maggie had just walked into the great hall for breakfast. She could feel her heart racing excitedly as she sat down beside her friends. She was going to have her first alchemy class this morning.

'But if they can't see each other how do they, you know?' James asked, putting some rashers on his buttered toast to make a sandwich.

'Well, the thing is-' Remus tried to answer but was quickly interrupted by Sirius.

'Real question is if we can't see them? Can they see us? Or do they only see the meat?' Sirius nodded before taking a chunk out of James' sandwich.

'True true.' James agreed as Remus rolled his eyes at them both before refilling his cup with more coffee.

'Well, first off threstals can see each other. In fact, all the other creatures can see them. The only reason we can't is that our minds can't necessarily process them until something grim happens. More of a state of mind sorta thing. They can see us also as well as everything else. Threstrals, just like most of the other creatures, can see things in a greater colour range than we do.' Maggie said rather quickly leaving her friends speechless. 'Anyway, good morning my lovely lovely friends.' She smiled around the table as the others looked at her sceptically. They noticed Maggie had been in a bit of a mood since summer, so they were always closely watching her. But it was as if she had gone through a full 180.

'You're in such a cheery mood today.' Remus smiled cheerfully at his friend before leaning in to whisper to Marlene. 'What's going on?'

'Indeed. Almost as if she got some.' Marlene said, causing James and Sirius to choke on their food while Remus turned tomato red.

'Got some what?' Sirius asked once he had recovered.

'They better be talking about some muggle contraption called some.' James pointed his butter knife towards Maggie as the others laughed.

'I assure you I didn't get anything, except the satisfaction of finishing my alchemy textbook cover to cover.' Maggie brought out a very large textbook and dropped it on the table beside her. There was a resounding sound of the book shaping the table causing Remus to spill a bit of his tea and Mary spill a bit of her porridge.

'I'm starting to actually wish she got some.' Peter snickered before returning to his baked beans and toast. Lily laughed rather loudly, causing Mary to hit her with a magazine.

'Ouch.' She rubbed her shoulder.

'For your information, I have no interest in getting some. Not when there's alchemy in the air. I have my first class this morning.' Maggie said haughtily, pouring milk into her cereal bowl.

'Glad to see our darling Maggie is back.' Sirius said sarcastically.

'Glad to see my bet is gonna be paid off soon.' Maggie smiled and looked over to see James and Lily giggling to themselves. She looked back at Sirius and smirked. She looked back at her red-headed friend. The sudden thought of red-heads reminded her she hadn't seen two particular red-heads in a while. 'Where's the Prewetts?' She looked at the watch on her wrist then all around her.

'Maggie, did you-' Just then a large brown owl dropped two neatly wrapped packages in front of her and landed on her shoulder. It was Fudge, the Prewwets owl. They had actually wanted to name the owl something more colourful when they first got him in their first year, but their mother had a fit that forced them to change it to a more appropriate name. They still giggle every time they see the owl though. In the owl's beak was a letter. Maggie took the letter and fed the owl some toast before opening it up. Once she was done she quickly closed it and opened the boxes.

'Yeah, I guess it slipped my mind.' She nodded solely. It was her first week in school without her favourite twins and she was already missing them. 'Have a cupcake. It's from Molly.' She passed the box over. She had to swat Marlene's hand away