Summer

The term was over before I knew it. The marauders kept their word and didn't prank me for the rest of the school year, except for a few tiny pranks they couldn't resist, but I didn't mind. I talked to Kevin again, after making Sirius explain the whole thing. We ended up hanging out a lot and became good friends. Although a lot of the time, Sirius usually appeared out of nowhere and joined us. Dorcas spent more time at our table which Peter enjoyed a lot. While everyone talked about how they were looking for new ways to spend their summer, I was dreading it and Marlene could tell. I needed to find a way to get my friends to spend time at my house that way my parents won't fight. They never fought when our friends came over, not even over something that we knew would cause a big fight on a regular day. Taiwo and I had exchanged a few letters planning everything out. About 1 or 2 weeks till the school year was over, we asked our parents, or more accurately begged. They relented after a few days of non-stop letters. I was eating breakfast at the time they finally agreed. I was so shocked that apple juice shot out of my nose.

'Oh my goodness, oh my -ow.' I grabbed a napkin and placed it on my sore nose trying to clean up the mess. 'What?' I reread the letter.

'What happened?' Remus had rushed over to my side to make sure I was okay. Mary was cleaning up the mess I made on the table. The rest of the boys were eating and Lily and Marls just looked at me with a look of shock and disgust.

'Uh. Nothing. My parents said I could invite you guys to spend the holiday with us. I mean if you want to. You don't have-'

'Well, I would love to.' Marls spoke up. I looked at her with surprise.

'You mean it?' Tears filled my eyes as Marlene nodded her head. i guess she could tell how much I needed this. 'Thank you.'

'I guess I could meet this mystery brother of yours.' Lily went back to her cereal.

'If my Lily flower is going, I guess I'm going too.' James nodded a bit too enthusiastically.

'Yeah, I'm joining Prongs.' Sirius added. The remaining two boys also agreed. I turned to Mary, trying my best to do puppy eyes.

'That's not going to work on me.' She returned to her food and rubbed some butter on her toast. 'But I'll talk to my father.'

'Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.' I hugged Mary.

'So what do you have planned for us?' I sat down on the coffee table. I had just returned from the Prewetts dorm. I had gone there to ask them if they would come, but they said they were spending the break with their sister Molly.

'We're spending one week here, then we're going to spend a week in France.'

'Really?' Peter lifted his head from the rug he laid on.

'Yeah, my brother insisted on showing you guys around. He's really excited to meet you guys. But that's all planned for much later in the summer. So what are you guys doing before then?'

'Well, I'm planning a sleepover. You should come.' Lily adjusted herself in her seat to move closer to me. She held both of my hands.

'Definitely.' I squeezed her hands and smiled. She opened a book that was balancing on the hand rest of her chair and started reading. James quickly moved from where he sat with Sirius and leaned on her chair. He put on his brightest smile.

'Can I come, my lily flower?' His voice filled with confidence as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

'No.' She flipped the page of her book, not bothering to look up. His shoulders slumped.

'One of these days, you'll fall head over heels in love with me. Mark my words, Lily Evans.' James was nothing but stubborn, but so was Lily. She had dropped her book and glared at James with anger. He glared back at her, but with a smug smile. Silence.