Chapter 17: Lost without you

Oscar

"Well, any news? Please, oh God let it be good news".

The doctor walked up to me with a young nurse beside her. Both of their hands were cupped in front of them with sad expressions.

"Sofia is alright. She should be waking up soon. Mr Hendricks, we managed to save the baby, but I'm truly sorry. Your fiancee, she didn't make it through the operation. There was too much internal damage. There was nothing more we could do".

I had hope. I had fucking hope she'd pull through, but the doctor just broke the news that the love of my life didn't survive.

My legs started to tremble, my head started to spin. I felt overcome with nausea and my world started to spin.

"No. NO. YOU'RE LYING" I screamed out throwing my fist into the wall. The women lowered their heads in respect not saying another word.

"P-please tell me you're lying" I stuttered out with tears trailing down my face. It can't be true. It just can't. I refuse to believe such a thing.

"Mr Hendricks, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could" the doctor repeated looking as if she too was on the verge of tears.

Realising my new reality, I fell to the floor not caring about the people around me. The woman who had my heart was no longer here. 

Screaming out at the pain in my heart, I clutched my hair tightly almost ripping the strands from the scalp. Tears flooded my vision as the future I had planned for the both of us would no longer exist. 

How was I supposed to raise 2 children alone. What am I to say when they ask where she was. Who was I supposed to hold when I needed comfort. I needed Eleanor. I needed the woman who had become my very own world.

"Mr Hendricks. Would you like to say goodbye?".

Shakily lifting myself up from off the floor, I gave the doctor a quick nod before following her. I could see people staring at me in shock and surprise, but I couldn't think about anyone else except the love of my life.

Dragging my feet through the never ending maze of hallways, we stopped before a large door sectioned off through several secure hallways.

"We will need to take her body down to the morgue, but we want to give you this time to say goodbye. We'll be waiting outside when you're ready for us to proceed".

I could hear the doctor talking, but I wasn't paying attention to their words. I just stared at the door stunned as to whether I wanted to go in and see Eleanor's lifeless body.

Grabbing the door handle, I slowly turned it and pushed the door open. Closing my eyes, I walked in and shut the door quickly behind me praying that this was some kind of messed up dream.

Resting my head against the closed door, I turned around feeling close to fainting.

There her body lay covered in a white cloth. 

Unable to stop crying out loud, I rushed over to the table and slowly pulled the material back shaking uncontrollably as it revealed the woman I loved. 

"N-No".

Her skin was white, her eyes closed and her body still and motionless.

Resting my hand on her cold body, I stared down at her with my own tears falling on her face.

"Come back. Come on baby, come back to me. Come back to us".

Resting my hands on her cheeks, I closed my eyes hoping to feel some warmth, but she was ice cold.