Sparks of War

Cosmo quickly fell into a routine for the following week. He would wake up before dawn broke, the sky barely tinted with the faint azure of sunlight. From there, he would be escorted to Molniya's plateau to spar with her until dusk. She informed him that due to lightning's instinctive nature, the best way to coax the spell out of him would be to put him into a position where he would need to cast it. While Cosmo at first believed this to have merit based on his experiences with magic in the past, he began to believe Molniya simply enjoyed kicking him in the chest and mocking his ineptitude.

After training, he would join Elias and Lysander once again, who seemed to become more bored with each passing day. They would carry on a conversation until dinner, where the three would fill up on food and head to bed. Cosmo was always exhausted but sore, leaving him awake in bed for several hours each night before actually falling asleep. This gave him time to think about his and Molniya's first argument, which they hadn't spoken of since.

On the eighth day of training, Cosmo awoke and dressed himself before exiting his room. Once outside, he was surprised to see not only a guard awaiting him outside his door, but Lord Dreyniv as well. He wore his thin-rimmed gold spectacles, a loose fitting red robe and grey sirwals. He cleared his throat.

"Cosmo. Walk with me, will you?" Dreyniv ushered him forward with a wave of his hand. As they began walking, the soldier began to move to join them, only to be interrupted by Dreyniv. "No, that shouldn't be necessary. I'll take him to the plateau myself." The soldier resumed his post while Cosmo wondered what the reason could possibly explain why a guard need not be present for the conversation.

"Yes, Lord Dreyniv? What seems to be the matter?" Cosmo asked, swallowing his fear.

"I'm afraid I don't have much good news for you, my human friend." He spoke gravely as he exited the front door to his house, holding it open for Cosmo. He murmured a quick word of thanks in response. "News has reached Ogof of a surge in tribal aggression between our foes. The consequences of us returning our soldiers from their positions has made both enemy encampments suspicious of our intentions."

"I'm very sorry to hear that." Cosmo felt a pang of guilt in his chest. "I wish lightning magic could come easier to me, but there is a disconnect preventing me from casting anything."
"So I've heard. I regret that you cannot learn it as expediently as you originally wished to, Cosmo. I know how important learning it is to you and, as your ally, I feel your pain as well." Dreyniv sighed, looking around at his subjects, who watched him closely as he and Cosmo walked through the streets. "However, one thing will always remain a priority in my life: and that is my people. I cannot let anything happen to my fellow lizardfolk. They are my race's legacy, the sole cumulative resource of all lizardfolk knowledge."

"I understand, Lord Dreyniv. I would expect nothing less from you." Cosmo responded, cordially.

"Then you must understand the position that I am now forced into. Unfortunately, I must deliver you an ultimatum today in order to save my people. I will give you another day of training with Molniya before her, Ometa, your companions, and you must depart for Meer. I can't risk the plunder of Ogof, and I hope you understand." Dreyniv appeared truly dismayed as he reached the bottom of the staircase and stopped. Cosmo saw no malice in his intention and sighed.

"Perhaps it is better off anyways. Our progress has been, if not nonexistent, minimal." Cosmo looked at the ground, unable to help himself from feeling a touch of disappointment. "I will inform Elias and Lysander tonight. We will leave for Meer in the morning."

"Thank you." Dreyniv responded, respectfully. "For both of us, I hope that you are capable of learning the ways of lightning magic. From experience, I can tell you that it is powerful, even against the strongest adversaries." When he turned to leave, an idea sparked in Cosmo's head.