Chapter 12

Newt really isn't sure how long Pickett intends to stay buried in his hair, but he doesn't come back to sit on his shoulder, so Newt lets him be. He missed Pickett, and feeling him move, or caress, and sometimes tug at his hair soothes him.

The next one out of the case is the Swooping Evil, and he flies straight into Newt's chest. Newt smiles softly, and pets his head gently. The Swooping Evil buries himself further into Newt's chest with a soft thrill, Newt looks down at him fondly. The Swooping Evil's wings are almost wrapped around Newt, and Newt shakes his head at him. The Swooping Evil tucks himself into a ball and curls around Newt's wrist gently.

Newt looks over at Queenie and Credence with a bright smile. He wants to see the rest of his creatures, and he wants them to come with him, Queenie returns his smile easily. Credence looks a little flustered at Newt's warm expression.

"Do you guys want to come down to see my creatures with me?" Newt asks, Credence beams.

"Of course, I haven't seen them since early this morning." Credence is obviously excited, it makes Newt grin at him.

"I'm sure they miss you." Newt replies, and Credence looks even more excited.

Newt stands, and places the case on the floor, before opening it and stepping in. The Swooping Evil tickles his wrist as he wiggles around to get comfy, Pickett is still in Newt's hair, holding onto a few strands to stay balanced. Newt steps out of the cabin, and looks at Frank's empty habitat sadly, before continuing on. 

Dougal is the first to come to Newt, he probably seen him coming. Dougal grabs Newt's hand and practically drags him to the Occamys, the Occamys look thrilled to see Newt. They slither up to meet Newt's hands, and cry softly when he can't pet all of them at once. Newt laughs softly, and beings to take them all one by one into his arms.

"It's alright, Mummy's here." Newt says gently, he cradles each Occamy to his chest and gives them attention, before picking up another one and giving them attention. Until all the Occamy are happy, and content to just eat some worms.

Dougal tugs at Newt's sleeve, and Newt smiles down at him before squatting down to be eye level with him, Newt takes Dougal's hand with a smile.

"You've done such a good job Dougal, thank you." Newt beams at him, and Dougal nods before reaching up with both arms. Newt smiles fondly, and picks Dougal up. "Of course, you need some hugs too, don't you." Dougal gives Newt a pointed look that makes him laugh.

"Has Niff behaved?" Newt questions, and Dougal shakes his head, with an almost disappointed look. "Was he at least somewhat good?" Newt blinks when Pickett tugs at his hair and chitters.

"Now Pickett, you know what I've told you. The Niffler can't help it, it's in his nature to steal shiny things, it's not his fault he's such a pest." Newt scolds softly, but Pickett just mutters, and Newt shakes his head. 

Newt heads toward Dougal's swinging nest, Dougal jumps in enthusiastically, and Newt smiles at him, before patting him gently. Newt walks over to the Niffler's habitat, and as soon as the Niffler sees Newt, he chitters and reaches his paws out. Newt unfortunately, forgot to get the Niffler something, but as soon as Newt's in touching distance the Niffler launches himself at Newt.

Newt wasn't expecting that, but the Niffler is pretty attached to him, he has quite a few of Newt's valuables among his pile of shiny things. Newt catches the Niffler, and rubs the Niffler's back, smiling softly down at him. 

"I missed you too Niff." Newt says, and the Niffler makes a little sound, before climbing onto Newt's shoulder, and holding onto Newt's ear gently. Newt rolls his eyes, but allows the Niffler to stay there, he better check on his other creatures. 

The Augurey doesn't really care for people much, so when Newt checks on him he just stares at him and then accepts the food given without a care, Newt is still quite fond of him. The Billywigs flutter around Newt for awhile, and seem happy to have him back. The other Bowtruckles just chitter about favoritism, and Newt shakes his head.

"You know I'm fond of you all." Newt states firmly, and the Bowtruckles are quiet after that statement, because they know Newt is.

The Diricawls aren't please, or displeased to see him. They're fond of him, but not overly so, Newt doesn't mind much. The Erumpent rubs against him, and then rolls over to get a belly scratch, Newt of course, obliges. The Graphorns wrap their tails around Newt's arms and wrists, pleased to see him. 

The Mooncalves are also pleased to see Newt, but that could also be because he brings food with him, the Mooncalves love eating. His Nundu purrs softly when she sees Newt, and carefully rubs against him. She's very mindful of her spikes, Newt smiles softly at her. 

Newt is pleased to see that all of his creatures are perfectly content, and healthy. It makes a drop of tension release from Newt's chest, he didn't realise it was there. Somewhere within his tour of the case, he lost Credence and Queenie, Newt wonders where they've gotten to. The Swooping Evil shifts a little on Newt's wrist before tightening, Newt reaches under his sleeve and pets his head gently. 

The Swooping Evil relaxes at the attention, and Newt laughs. Pickett shifts on his head, and Newt can feel him slowly climbing to his other shoulder, Newt rubs the Nifflers fur softly, and the Niffler leans into the touch. Pickett finally gets onto his shoulder, and pulls on his ear gently, chittering.

"Yes, okay, you jealous boot." Newt says fondly, and Pickett tugs at his ear harder. Newt gently bats his little fingers away, and picks him up. "Now, that wasn't very nice." Pickett scoffs, and Newt tries to hid his amusement. 

He puts Pickett into the pocket of his shirt on the left side, Pickett rather likes that spot. Pickett chitters and Newt smiles, of course he's hungry now too. He should feed all three of the creatures attached to him at the moment, so he sets off for the shed.