Chapter 18

Percival doesn't know how Grindelwald escaped, but there's no way in hell that Percival will let any harm come to Newt, or that he'll let Grindelwald escape again. So, Percival does the only thing he can think of doing and steps in between Newt and Grindelwald.

Newt grips the back of his arm in a vice grip and Percival straightens his stance to cover Newt fully. Grindelwald narrows his eyes and glares at Percival. Something doesn't feel quite right to Percival, Newt's grip on his arm tightens and he leans in close.

"Percival, I think it would be best if you stood beside me instead of in front of me." Newt murmurs and Percival has half a mind to turn around and tear him a new one. He's not about to turn his back on Grindelwald though.

"I won't let him harm you Newt, if I stand beside you, he has easier access to you." Percival turns his head a little while talking, but keeps his eyes on Grindelwald.

"He won't harm me," Newt responds and Percival has to restrain himself from turning and shaking some sense into Newt. "Plus, even if he tried he wouldn't get far." Newt's ears redden when Grindelwald stares at him and then smirks knowingly.

"He isn't wrong. I may be skilled with magic beyond most, but Newton here is lovely with charms and would put up a fight." Percival blinks at Grindelwald, he has a feeling he's missing something here and more importantly did Grindelwald just call him Newton?

"Oi, you're not helping." Newt declares pointing at Grindelwald, who laughs and then smiles softly.

"My apologies," He turns toward Percival. "I really won't harm Newton, I just wanted to tell him that, well something that's between the two of us." Newt stiffens behind Percival and leans forward so much that he's basically in front of Percival.

"Is this about why you asked me if he was caught?" Newt demands and Grindelwald smiles warmly.

"Such a clever man." Grindelwald praises and Newt ducks his head. "Yes, it does." Grindelwald's smile widened and Percival doesn't like this. "But it seems I'll have to tell you another time."

Newt's face does a complicated array of emotions before smoothing out, Percival doesn't like this one bit. Maybe he should write Theseus about these developments, that seems like a reasonable plan.

"You know where to find me." Newt finally says and then Grindelwald is gone. Percival stares before turning to Newt bewildered.

_____________________________

Newt's a little nervous because Percival looks as though he's going to start yelling at him. Newt winces and then sighs, he better explain this before Percival gets the wrong idea.

"Look, Grindelwald was captured by MACUSA and would only answer questions if they were asked by me, once he got out he came to the hospital and asked about the man that put me here. For some reason, he seemed angry that I was in the hospital, to begin with, don't get me wrong, I don't in any way trust him." Newt rushes to explain and Percival's eyebrow arches.

"I'm not sure what he wants, but so far he hasn't harmed me and when you stepped in between us like that, I don't know but he didn't look happy. And it's better to keep him happy so he'll be on his way with the least amount of damage caused." Percival sighs and rubs at his forehead, Newt stares at him worriedly.

"I don't know why he'd want you to ask him the questions, I have a bad feeling that he has something else planned." Percival looks up from the floor to give him a hard stare. "It's good you don't trust him, but you should never let your guard down in front of him either. That's just as bad as trusting him." Newt rubs the back of his neck.

"You do have a point there." Percival shakes his head. "I was more worried he'd come to steal my case," Newt confesses and Percival gives him an incredulous look.

"Of course, that's what you were worried about," Percival smiles softly at Newt. "I doubt he'd ever get it without a fight." Percival reaches out and ruffles Newt's hair.

Newt swats at his hand with a disgruntled expression, which causes Percival to laugh softly. Newt runs a hand through his hair trying to tame it and only making it worse, Percival grins at him. Newt sticks his tongue out and goes to reach for his hair, Percival ducks out of the way just in time and Newt chases after him.

_____________________

Gellert is not happy, he wanted to see Newton right after killing that waste of space that harmed him. Percival Graves got in his way and Gellert is not happy with him for it. He won't harm the man for Newton's sake, and he does seem to enjoy the man's company, but it doesn't mean that Gellert has to like that Newton is hanging around someone else.

Now he needs to find another time to see Newton, maybe later tonight when Graves is asleep, but then he'd probably be robbing Newton of precious sleep. Although he doesn't have to stay long or wake him up right away. Gellert shakes his head, no that's probably a bit creepy, even for him. Gellert sighs and twirls his pen, there are too many decisions to be making here. Who knew being a dark lord would be such hard work?

Although, now that Gellert thinks about it, would Newton be happy he killed someone for him? The answer to that is an absolute no. Newton might not want him around anymore if he finds out, Gellert should find him a creature instead. Tell him that his followers will take care of trafficking rings and that all creatures will come to Newton if they're harmed or in need of some type of care.

This is a better choice, he can't tell Newton that he killed the man who harmed him. Telling him instead that he has a couple of creatures that need to be seen by him, or need caring for is a better alternative. Gellert better gets to work then, the trafficking rings can be pretty hard to find, although he is a dark lord. More than likely it won't be too hard to find someone to allow him in.

Gellert can't wait to see Newton's face when he gives him a creature and tells him that he took down a trafficking ring. Hopefully, Newton doesn't detect any lies or things could become complicated.