Chapter 16

Gellert sits in his cell and taps his foot against the floor, he can't stay here anymore. He's antsy and a little worried. Tina hasn't been back into MACUSA and he hasn't seen Newton either. It's concerning and Gellert doesn't know what to do with that, he's never truly worried about anyone before, besides maybe Albus, but that was years ago.

Gellert gets up and begins to pace, he isn't sure what to do about this. He can break out and go find Newton himself, or he can stay here and hope that Newton or Tina return shortly. The others here aren't exactly the best of company considering they only chat with him when they need information. Information that Gellert will not give them without Newton around, he's said as much and he thinks they might be beginning to lose their patience.

It makes him angry he wants to know what the hell is going on, but he has no way of figuring any of it out. It feels like he's be trapped in here a long time, longer than he probably has been. It's irritating and Gellert thinks breaking out looks promising right now.

He needs to contact his followers some how, not that he really needs their help in breaking out, the magic dampening cuffs are straining against his magic and soon they should break. Maybe he'll give them a helping hand and push against them.

_________________

Tina wasn't really on holiday as she told Queenie, as if MACUSA would let her go on a vacation when they finally have Grindelwald in custody and she's the only one that seems to be getting him to talk. No, MACUSA sent her on another mission to check out some locations where they believe Grindelwald followers to be and while she isn't excited about doing this, it will help flush out some of his followers and help them in the long run.

She's got only two other aurors with her, but they aren't really supposed to be in the field much, they're just her cover really, matches the story MACUSA came up for her. She's going undercover to try to be sure that they are Grindelwald followers and they aren't just arresting innocent people based on a tip. 

It's tiring work, they don't trust many people even if she is a neighbour to some of them. Which helps a lot with surveillance actually. She's making some headway with them, but it's slow going and she's rather annoyed they decided to put her undercover now. She is still worried about Newt, even if MACUSA tries to reassure her that he's fine. 

Tina sighs, back to work she goes.

_______________________

Gellert wishes these cuffs would break already. He thinks he's been at it for hours, but then he's not sure because of his single minded focus. Albus used to be worried by the way Gellert could give all of his attention to something until he started to lose sense of time. He's pretty sure he's been given lunch and dinner already, but he's not really sure. He's also sure they're watching him more closely, he's heard the sound of work boots more frequently today then he has the whole time he's been here. 

He really wishes the cuffs would break already, he tries pushing his magic extra hard for a minute or two and thinks maybe there are cracks forming, but he could also just be seeing things that his mind wants him to. His whole body aches and he's exhausted.

_______________________

Newt sighs, being in a hospital is rather boring. At first he was only sleeping, so it's not like he was bored then, but a man can only sleep for so long. Percival keeps him company every now and then, but he tires fast due to how badly his body was abused. Credence and Queenie come to see him too, although they mostly talk about what Tina's up to and how she's fairing with her mission. 

Newt also goes into the case every now and again to feed his creatures and administer any potions that he needs to while also spending time with them. Those are about the only times he isn't bored. He should probably be working on his book, he doesn't feel that bad and he's not really sure why the mediwitches want him to stay in the hospital longer, but he'll do as they say. 

Newt's sketching when there's a commotion outside, he figured he should do something relaxing and enjoyable hence the sketching of his creatures of course. It will help his book as well as he wants to include his drawings. But the commotion outside doesn't really sound like a hospital type of commotion, it's more like something is wrong.

There's a cut off shriek and then the sounds of people bustling around. Maybe Newt is wrong though, it's not like he's in enough hospitals to know what the chaos of one would sound like. But then a nurse comes bustling into the room and she's being trailed by someone. Newt can see the fear in her eyes and he reaches for his wand discreetly. 

When he has it in his grasp he turns to the nurse and the stranger and raises an eyebrow.

"Can I help you two with anything?" Newt questions politely, the nurse smiles thinly and promptly leaves. Newt is a bit confused, until he really looks at the stranger and realises this isn't a stranger at all.

He inches closer to his case and puts the bed in between himself and Grindelwald. 

"Now, now," Grindelwald murmurs, "There's no reason to be frightened Newton." Newt completely disagrees. At least when he was in a room with him before Grindelwald had cuffs that suppressed his magic and Newt was free to leave whenever he pleased.

"How did you escape MACUSA custody?" Newt questions, and Grindelwald grins.

"Well, I thought you'd never ask. But does that mean or last agreement is back into effect?" Grindelwald grins and Newt frowns.

"Agreement?" Grindelwald grin softens into a smile. 

"Where you ask me a question and I ask you one." Grindelwald clarifies, and Newt nods.

"Right, well should you even still be here if you've just escaped." Newt tilts his head slightly, and Grindelwald hums.

"They haven't noticed I'm gone yet, and the hospital staff won't say anything because that could cause more injuries if a duel breaks out in their hospital. Why, are you worried about me Newton?" Grindelwald purrs and Newt frowns.

"Not really, I just don't want you to harm anyone here." Newt mutters, and Grindelwald laughs softly.

"I won't, now if I answer your question, can I ask my own?" Newt stares at Grindelwald for a second before hesitantly nodding. "Alright then. Well, they're cuffs that were supposed to suppress my magic were rather weak, or maybe my magic was just too strong to be contained, either way I broke them." Grindelwald answers and Newt blinks.

"That's rather convenient isn't it. Alright out with your question." Newt remarks and Grindelwald become serious all of a sudden.

"The man who cursed you, is he in MACUSA custody?" Grindelwald asks with a hint of steel in his gaze.