Chapter 19

Since Gellert popped into the hospital three days ago Percival has been hovering, he seems to be worried about leaving Newt alone and while Newt doesn't mind the company he hopes Gellert won't be back for awhile yet. Newt hasn't heard a word from him since his unprompted visit, in a way it's concerning because he barged in here scaring a nurse half to death with the promise of some news which he didn't end up giving to Newt.

Newt knows it has something to do with the man who cast the curse at him, Gellert confirmed as much. Newt just isn't sure what exactly about him Gellert has news about and Newt's a little worried he harmed the poor sod. Newt obviously doesn't feel fond for the man who cursed him, but that doesn't mean Newt wants him dead, or harmed in any way.

Newt really isn't sure why Gellert hasn't been back, unless he's waiting for Newt to get out of the hospital. Unless he knows Percival will be hovering around him and watching to make sure he's okay. Newt is getting tired of thinking about it, so he doesn't. He focuses on his creatures and making sure they're okay, he handles the clinginess from Picket and the Swooping Evil surprisingly well.

He doesn't mind their company and most days he falls asleep with Pickett curled in his hair and the Swooping Evil wrapped around his wrist tightly enough it feels like he's wearing a bracelet. The Niffler is sometimes there and sometimes not, which Newt doesn't mind either way.

In a way, he's glad for the company that doesn't feel like they're watching his every move like Percival does, sometimes Newt thinks Percival doesn't trust him. Maybe it's because Gellert was friendly with him and he wasn't opposed and didn't show any sort of disgust for him, Newt doesn't really know.

He can read body language fairly well though, something he's learnt better with creatures, but he can tell that Percival is rather tense compared to other visits. Newt feels rather guilty about it, but isn't sure what to say to make Percival understand that it's all okay, then again maybe there's nothing he can say.

Percival has a right to be paranoid, Gellert is the man who assumed his identity and left him locked away while he did it. Percival is a victim of Gellert and no one in MACUSA even realized it wasn't him. Newt is sure it stings him still, the thought that none of his coworkers, ones his been working with for years, noticed it wasn't him. It's something Newt isn't sure he'd be able to forgive if he had any coworkers for speak of.

Newt hates seeing him so tense though and he wishes he could do something to help Percival. Maybe he should show him the case and all the creatures inside, maybe he'll even find his favourite and one will take a liking to him, maybe a creature will make him happier.

Newt thinks it's worth a shot. Who doesn't like creatures anyways?

______________

Newt decides to broach the subject the next day with Percival, so far he hasn't been into the case with Newt and it's a little weird considering how glued to Newt's side he's been the last couple of days. 

"Percival, would you like to accompany me down into the case this afternoon when I go feed the creatures?" Newt questions and Percival glances up with a startled expression. 

"You'd really let me come into your case to see your creatures?" Percival asks in return and Newt frowns. 

"Of course, I would. If this is because I have offered before, it has nothing to do with you personally, I rather thought you wouldn't enjoy it. But well, you've been so tense these last couple of days and I figured seeing something new might help a bit, but stupid really. You don't have to of course, I only thought you may be interested and I wouldn't know until I asked." Newt rambles and Percival smiles softly.

"Please don't take my response as a refusal. I merely meant I didn't think you let anyone down there, or at least not anyone you didn't explicitly trust." Percival explains and Newt sighs in relief. 

"Ah, that makes sense. And you are quite right that I have to trust a person in order for them to see the cases contents. I do trust you Percival, even though we haven't known each other long. Well the decision is yours to make." Newt smiles over at him and Percival colours before looking away. 

"It would be my pleasure." Percival responds and Newt beams.

________________________

Gellert is most displeased. Graves is too close to Newton at present and seems tense everyday since Gellert's impromptu visit. If he'd known then that Graves would follow Newton around like a love sick puppy, he would've postponed his news for Newt to another day. What's done is done however, but it doesn't mean Gellert has to like it. 

Newton is entirely too sweet for this world, Gellert decides and Gellert finds himself wanting to save creatures and bring down whole trafficking rings just to impress Newton. It bugs Gellert a little bit, how fond he is becoming of this man, how fast he seems to be falling for this man because Gellert knows what it's like and he won't lie to himself. The problem is he can't be distracted from his goals and ambitions and he most certainly will if he remains on this train of thought, or indulges these feelings he seems to be developing for the younger Scamander brother.

However, he isn't sure he'll be able to completely disregard them either. Maybe he can balance both, but Newt is all he can think about. He wants to keep Newton safe and Gellet can only think about him being safe if he's by Gellert's side, with Gellert there to protect him. But Gellert knows Newton he's too much of a wanderer to be tamed. Maybe he'll start with rescuing creatures though, maybe it will sway Newton into staying by Gellert's side, or joining him at the very least. 

Or maybe he should get Newton's opinion on how he's going about his goals, see if he has anything to add, or change. Show Newton that Gellert can listen and adapt his plans, but Gellert first needs to be honest with him about killing that despicable man who dared harm him. Gellert's often wondered if this fondness he has for Newton is because of when he was imprisoned and only seen Newton and his guards, if it's because Newton was always kind and treated him like he was a human. 

Gellert doesn't know for sure if that's what this is, but he also isn't sure it's not. They spent multiple weeks talking, with Newton sharing small tidbits about himself and Gellert giving him information. Gellert almost doesn't care if that's the reason for this warm feeling in his chest, he just wants Newton by his side.