Chapter 13

Credence still can't believe how amazing the case is, he still can't really believe that magic can be so beautiful. Growing up, being taught that magic was the root of evil, and then to meet Newt and learn that magic can give off so much life and light. It was just so cruel, because Credence could've, no should've, been living in this world since birth.

He should've been a part of this amazing world, and there's a part of him that hates Mary Lou more than ever because he wasn't. Hates her for talking down on a world that is so magical, and wonderful. Grindelwald showed Credence that magic can be used for vile, cruel things, a part of Credence had never wanted magic to be a part of him after seeing that. Didn't want magic to be in him, didn't want to be like Mary Lou, or Grindelwald going around abusing people. 

But then Newt showed up, he showed Credence that magic can be beautiful, it can heal, and restore. It can protect, and be a wonderful thing. Newt has showed Credence that magic is just a tool, it is neither good, nor evil.

Newt of course uses it for so much good, for healing and helping others. Newt uses magic like its an extension of himself, and Credence has never wanted to learn more about something in his life. If he has magic, he wants to learn all about it, wants to use it. He hopes Newt is right about him being able to use it.

Newt being hurt by magic is something that makes Credence a little weary, because Newt is so good and he shouldn't be hurt that badly. Credence noticed it even if Newt himself didn't, the little minute shakes his legs had when he stood, the way his hands shook as he reached out to Pickett. Credence needs to learn magic so that he can protect Newt.

Credence can't wait to learn magic, so he can protect Newt like Newt protected him.

____________________

Newt decided to sit in Frank's habitat, he'll have to release him before he can go back to England. Newt wonders if he should stay in America for a while, just to make sure Frank settles in okay. 

Frank had been excited to see Newt, he had flied around Newt's head before landing and nuzzling into Newt's outstretched hand. The thunderbird is now curled around Newt, having a nap, Frank's thin ended tails are curled around his midsection lightly. 

Newt loves Frank's habitat, it gets gloomy sometimes, but for the most part it's sunny and warm. When Newt had first brought Frank here, Frank had hated it. Granted he had been enslaved in Egypt before that, and he thought Newt was the same as those other wizards that trapped him.

It had taken months to get Frank's trust, most of his bigger scars are from Frank, not that he blames Frank. Newt thinks that might've been what made Frank realize something was different, Newt would get hurt from Frank's claws, but as soon as Frank was calmed Newt would go and heal his own wounds, or go to St Mungo's.

Newt remembers how confused Frank had looked when he first came back the next day with scabs, but still treated him kindly. Frank had slowly opened up, there were still times where Newt got too close, that had resulted in claws aimed at him, or Frank would try to bite. After that, Newt remembered to approach slowly, and show both hands, and not to show Frank his wand.

Newt ended up learning wandless spells for Frank, simple cleaning spells, and accios. It eased Frank when there was no wand, and the fact that Frank knew Newt didn't use wandless spells that were harmful. Frank then became attached to Newt, and sometimes protected him from the other creatures when they got too aggressive towards Newt.

Newt snuggles more into Frank's side, he really is going to miss him, they've been with each other for a couple years now and they've become attached to each other. Frank's habitat is the biggest one right now, and closest to Newt's hut, Newt did that purposely so Frank would know when Newt was inside the case before all the other creatures.

Frank purrs by his side and curls his thin tails over Newt a little more, rumbling soothingly. Newt can feel the exhaustion of the day creep up on him, Frank's rumbling soothes him, and Newt can feel himself drift off. He doesn't mean to, he didn't come to see Frank with the intention of falling asleep on him, but Newt can't help it. Frank is warm, and he trusts that if anything happens Frank will wake him up.

_________________________

Gellert is officially going stir crazy, he wants to know how Newton is. They haven't told him anything and Tina hasn't been back for days, it makes him think that maybe Newton woke up. Gellert has been demanding to know where Tina is for the past three days, but all he gets is something muttered about saved up vacation time. 

Gellert is frustrated, how could she take vacation time at a time like this? Gellert contemplates breaking out, but decides to wait for the right time, he's not sure when that will be yet. He already has a couple of followers in MACUSA, but he doesn't want to expose them to early. 

Gellert isn't sure what they are planning on doing with him, but he'd rather not go back to Europe and let the Ministry deal with, a MACUSA cell is better than those stupid dementors. Looking around his cell, he thinks breaking out of here would probably be easy, but the Americans know better than to underestimate him.

He knows his magic is being suppressed, can tell with how it doesn't rush to his fingertips when he tries to call out for it, it's a strange feeling. He's itching to use it, itching to find the person who cast the unforgivable on Newton, and crush them. 

Gellert really needs to get out of here, he misses his magic, misses how it rushes to his fingertips and aids him. Misses the hum of it deep in his soul, he wants out, he feels like he's going crazy in here.

No one, not even him, want to see a crazier than normal Gellert.