Chapter 17: The Engine Casino: Second Ignition

"Hrlf!" Ochako covered her mouth as a wave of nausea came for her. She had just finished floating herself down from her room on the third floor, and it had taken a while. She spotted the other people that were coming on the crusade and raced towards them.

"Hey! How did you guys get down?" Ochako said, panting as she stopped before them.

"...We used the contact elevator?" Sero pointed with his thumb to a metal box that was near the balcony of the three rooms. "It was pretty easy. Just press a button, and it comes for you. How did you get down?"

"Are you serious! I had to float all the way here!"

"Blah blah blah. Shut it Round Face. Are we gonna leave, or not?" Iida said, his tongue now oddly large, as it stuck out of his mouth. His irises also took on a very watery shape.

"Remind me where we are going?" Momo said, rubbing her eyes. She was awfully tired, as she had stayed up all night yesterday training.

"The Engine Casino, duh! I'm bored, and y'all look like someone ran over your dog."

"Hey!" Ochako protested.

"But that's beside the point. Why are we going there again? I assumed it would've been shut down by the heroes after Captain Celebrity attacked during my last visit." Momo said, putting a finger to her chin.

"If it got shut down, society would go HAYWIRE! Like, catastrophic levels of discord and anarchy. They like, don't want that happening, so they kept it open." Iida said returning to the bratty voice they all know and love. "But that doesn't matter! Let's go already."

L a t e r . . .

"This has been on my mind for a while. How are you so good at gambling? Do you use your quirk to help you?" Momo pondered as Tenya collected another round of cash.

"Of course I don't use my quirk! That's cheating, and cheating gets you executed. I guess I'm just lucky." Tenya said before turning back to the three other UA students. "So? You wanna try?"

"Um... how do you play?" Hanta said, scratching his head and looking around at the people.

"Okay! Depending on the stakes, the rules change. You all know how to play blackjack, right?"

The three nodded.

"Right. So, if you bet... 10 million yen, then if you win, you get to collect that much money. However, if you or your opponent can't pay up, they have to pay with something else. If you get 10 million yen, and they can't pay you back, they can... give you their eyeballs! Or full fingernails! It doesn't really matter, but there are 2 main rules. One. Don't cheat, or you'll be executed. Two. Only bet what you have, because the consequences could be catastrophic. It's super despair-inducing! Right? Right." Tenya said, his eyes starting to swirl.

"Why do people even come here?" Ochako whimpered, shocked by the rules.

"Some people like the thrill. Others do it for the money. And some are just desperate." Tenya said.

"...I wanna try..." Heads turned to see Momo, looking away meekly.

"Well! Looks like we have a volunteer!" Tenya said before blowing a hand whistle.

"What are you doing?!" Ochaco hissed. 

"You're going to get yourself killed! You're the only rational one here!" Sero added. Momo merely shrugged before following the navy haired male to a round table. The duo looked at each other briefly before running after their dark-haired classmates.

"What the hell? Why are people following us now?" Hanta said as he began swerving in between the gathering crowd.

"Oh my god! Ochaco Uraraka, could I get a selfie!"

"Could you give me an autograph!"

"You're so cool!"

"It's like you're an Idol!" Sero proclaimed as the duo both stopped at the table where Momo and Iida were.

"Yeah...That was pretty weird." Ochaco said, rubbing her head.

"Well then! We've got our first opponent! How much are we gambling tonight!" Tenya said as a man in a suit with brown hair and eyes sat down at the table opposite of Momo.

"10 million yen."

Gasps were heard all around as Tenya brought out a briefcase. He opened it, and there were rows upon stacks of money. "High stakes huh? I like your style." He poured all the cash out, and the practically silent thumps sounded like meteors hitting the Earth.

The two players waited as people began handing out cards and drawing something on them before placing them in what looked like a voting box.

"What is this?" Ochaco whispered. The players then each drew three cards from the box. The man looked so sure of himself, but in his eyes, there was a sliver of doubt and fear.

"You're trying so hard to look confident," Momo muttered.

"Rock!"

"Paper!"

"Scissors!"

"Shoot!" Tenya shouted as the two players slammed one of their cards on the table. Momo's card showed rock. He also showed rock.

"Ah, a tie. How uneventful." Tenya said as the pair discarded their cards and grabbed three more from the box. And so it repeated. Over and over, there were ties all around. Then, the final round came.

"Alright! If one of you don't win in this round, then I'll make both of you lose 10 million yen!" Tenya shouted, impatient.

"Rock!" The whole crowd was chanting it.

"Paper!" Time seemed to slow down.

"Scissors!"

"SHOOT!"

BAM!

The man threw down his card. Paper

Momo threw down hers.

Scissors.

"AND MOMO YAOYOROZU IS THE WINNER OF THIS MATCH! PAY UP!" Tenya shouted as deafening cheers sounded through the crowd. Hanta and Ochaco let out a breath they didn't realize they were holding, and they went to pat Momo on the back.

Then, the man ran, obviously not prepared to pay the large sum of money.

"But your incompetence says otherwise!" Momo whispered as spears came out of the ground, piercing the man through completely, splattering red blood everywhere.

"Well... That was... A lot. But that reminds me. Why were people following me?" Ochaco asked as the group of four began leaving the huge glass dome.

"You're an Idol here of course! People recognized your strength and determination in the Sports Festival, and now you're a fan favorite! That's one of the reasons why we picked you for AFO: HM!" Tenya exclaimed. "That, and you're Midoriya's best friend."

"Huh? What does that have to do with anything?" As the trio began bickering, one person lagged behind, the rims of their irises watery.

Momo Yaoyorozu.