Chapter 22: Just M

Momo followed Kumo through the dark streets of Musutafu, Japan. Although she wasn't necessarily scared of the dark, she was anxious about what was to come. Meeting new people was a hard thing, but meeting people who were like Kumo?

That's a death wish in it of itself.

"Are you nervous, Momo?" Kumo said, breaking the deafening silence.

"W-what? No, of course not!"

"..."

"..."

"...Maybe..."

"Well don't be! All we're doing is creating new allies inside the Border!"

"The Border?"

"Look! We're here!" Kumo stopped in front of a warehouse, clearly abandoned. It smelled musty, and the walls were covered in graffiti. They walked inside and waited for the new arrival.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here? Kumo Ashi, the Super High School Level Powerhouse, and..." The voice trailed off as a girl jumped from the shadows. She had her black-brown hair in two Chinese-style buns, as well as a sleeveless black turtleneck and green camo pants. She also wore white shoes that looked like figure skates without the blades, and an emblem of a golden scale embroidered on her back. But the most prominent feature about her was clearly her eyes. They were grey in color and had a white upside-down heart split in half by a red streak in both of her eyes.

"The names Momo Yaoyorozu. A pleasure to meet you." Momo was nervous. This girl was unnerving.

"Well, how polite! The name's Monika."

"Monika?"

"Just Monika. The Super High School Level Judge."

"Wow! I remember you from my Kibougamine years! Class 56, am I right?" Kumo said, clearly excited. 

Monika chuckled. "That's me. Truly an honor if the Kumo Ashi actually remembers me."

"Aren't we here to strike a deal?" Momo was getting quite pissed at the fact that they were getting off track, partially because she didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

"Right! Since you reside within the Border, we wanted you to ally with AFO: HM in order for us to receive info from the inside.

"And what would this do for me?"

"You would be able to receive private information from us, as well as making a name for you and your... group outside the Border, seeing as no one really knows you," Kumo said. "Besides, doesn't it get boring hanging out with those stuck-up brats inside the Border?"

"Hm. Deal. But if I help you, you help me. I want to destroy every trace of the society that resides inside the border. Its corruption could rival even hero society." Monika's eyes gleamed with what looked to be bloodlust, and Momo was unnerved.

Suddenly, Monika's eyes snapped upwards, and she pushed Momo out of the way as a large chunk of the roof of the warehouse came crashing down. Kumo had already moved, sensing it begin to crumble before even Monika heard it. She was tapping on her holoscreen, clearly trying to alert someone of their predicament.

"Ugh. Pro heroes. Stay down, I'll deal with this." Monika then jumped into the air, flying at truly inhuman heights, before climbing out onto the roof. She was met with at least 5 different pro heroes, most likely alerted due to a leak in the system.

"How trivial." Monika launched herself at the heroes, the odd shoes of her's seemingly propelling her towards her targets. A golden mallet appeared in her hand, almost the size of her, and she quickly smacked one of the heroes off the roof before spinning expertly on the bottom of the mallet as she sent another into the hole that was created with a kick that didn't land. 

"Who the hell are you?" The pro hero said but was quickly knocked unconscious. The last two conscious pro heroes formed a plan, and one charged Monika while the other called for backup.

"Damn it! Now I'll have to deal with even more..." Monika then took off one of her shoes and held it in her hand, and the use of hem quickly became clear as another was blasted off the roof. It looked like the shoes used highly compressed and pressurized air to launch its victim's several meters away with the shoe pointed towards them. 

As more reinforcements arrived, Monika soon had her hands full. She was almost certain she was going to lose this battle, and it looked like Kumo and Momo had already fled. then, something out of the ordinary happened. A grappling hook flew up from the bottom of the building, and hit one of the pro heroes in the arm, latching on like a grappling game at a carnival. The pro hero stopped attacking Monika and opted to try and take off the claw, but suddenly, the cable went limp as the hero went flying into the air before coming down with a splatter on the pavement. 

Monika looked up to see a girl with long hair holding a parasol. She was wearing a purple kimono with a black haori and had those traditional Japanese sandals. They landed with a small thump on the roof, having been slowed by their makeshift parachute. She then stuck the tip of the parasol into the neck of a hero, and they dropped to the ground, convulsing in pain.

"My name is Kamino Shinsou. Kumo has requested backup. Fear no longer, for I will help you." Monika merely nodded before they both engaged in combat, Monika using her hammer and brute force while Kamino attacked gracefully, like the wind.

-----------------------------

"MOM! DAD!" Ochaco ran into the hospital room, looking panicked. She had heard about the news when she was talking to Deku, and she hoped that it was false.

Her heart dropped, however, as she spotted her mom and dad, both bedridden and covered in burns. She felt so...

So...

So much DESPAIR.

It was as if her entire world had drowned in it, like the terrifying darkness that had always been fought back had swallowed her quickly.

She remembered what the secretary had told her. Apparently, they had been caught in a fight between All Might and a different villain, and an explosion had occurred, showering the nearby civilians in fire and white-hot debris.

"I-I'm so s-sorry." Ochaco collapsed on the ground, mourning her injured parents. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there."

-----------------------------

"Thanks for the help, Kamino." Monika accepted the tea that Kamino had given her inside another base of AFO: HM. Kumo and Momo were with them but in a different room.

"You are welcome. However, I'm still confused about one thing." Kami was organizing the new books that she had achieved from the attack. "How did the heroes know we were there?"

"I bet it was one of my henchmen. Those scumbags do anything for money. This is why you can't trust anyone."

Then, it was silence. After the quick chat, Monika said that she needed to return to the inside of the Border, but that she would be in contact with AFO: HM for a while. As Monika began heading back, calling a portal transporter, she felt like she had achieved something.

"Anything is better than that good for nothing continent."