24.

AN/// WOW thank you so much for 2k reads! You guys are so awesome and I love all of your comments and private messages with plot suggestions. School has been a lot lately so sorry for the late update (it's been almost a month) but you guys haven't forgotten about me! Love ya'll!

It had been an entire week since the conversation in the common room, and it was like it never had occurred at all. Not that Effie particularly minded this however, as Harry was treating her no differently. That's exactly what she wanted; the same treatment.

Over Christmas break, Effie's time had been occupied with snowball fights, hot chocolates, and reading up for Buckbeak's trial by the fire in Gryffindor's common room. All of her friends had gone except for the Golden Trio. The week had gone by basically eventless until Christmas day arrived.

Harry had, as expected, woken up to a broomstick shaped package on the end of his bed, housing his infamous firebolt. While Effie missed the initial discovery of the present and deliberation over its sender, she did wake up in time to hear the boys showing Hermione the broom in the common room.

"Listen, Harry can I have a go on it? Can I?"

Effie heard Ron practically begging from the top of the stairs.

"I don't think anyone should ride that broom just yet!" said Hermione shrilly.

Harry and Ron looked at her.

"What d'you think Harry's going to do with it - sweep the floor?" said Ron.

Even from afar Effie could hear Hermione's huff of disproval and hasty exit from the common room. Later that day, McGonagall confiscated the Firebolt. Ron, still mad about another attack on Scabbers by Crookshanks was unwilling to hear any of Hermione's excuses.

"Because I thought – and Professor McGonagall agrees with me – that that broom was probably sent to Harry by Sirius Black!" Hermione had argued, but Harry and Ron were too upset over the loss to listen to her.

Even though Effie knew she was right, she did nothing. As hard as it might be, she refused to interfere with the plot. Again. This was also the reason she did not attend the Christmas dinner, as there was far too much at stake with Trelawney and her predictions. After all, a 14th seat would mess with the plot.

For the next week, Hermione was rarely seen with the boys. They had taken to ignoring her and she was forced to spend most of her time in the library. Effie spent the rest of the break basically alone as well. Ron and Harry were gossiping about who knows what, Hermione was off sulking, and the only other students left at the castle were a sixth year and a first year who wanted nothing to do with her.

Effie had gotten presents on Christmas, mostly wrapped in menorah paper by her friends who knew she was Jewish. Chocolate frogs from Dean and Seamus who knew she was starting a card collection. A dancing plant from Neville. Spectrespecs from Luna. A box of fireworks from Fred and George. Knitting needles and yarn from Hermione who knew she yearned to learn the art of knitting. From Dobby a mismatched pair of extravagant socks. Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans from Ron. And lastly, a self-help book gag gift from Harry with a picture of a witch imitating Uncle Sam with the title, "YOU Need Some Serious Help."

At the last present she had smiled to herself. She'd gotten him a gag gift as well, an extremely large shirt that said, "This Grandma's Still Got Game." Her presents for the rest of her friends were more gift-like, but she had known Harry wouldn't have received many gag gifts in his life from lack of friends before the age of 11 and she could only imagine Petunia or Vernon's reactions to the shirt.

The alone time should have felt like second nature to her. Effie thought she'd be used to it. The silence. The loneliness. But even when she was most alone, she'd had her books. The characters had kept her company. Even if she had the books with her, she imagined Harry wouldn't handle walking in on her reading about his past, present, and future well. He'd basically stalked and prosecuted her when she'd acted a little suspicious. She didn't know what she'd do if he ever found out the truth.