19.

Author's Note: Thank you for all of the support! I love reading your comments and seeing that you like my work and I am glad to provide more when I can. Sorry for another short chapter but I had to write an essay this week and I couldn't really work on this.

The day of the first Hogsmeade visit had finally arrived and it was all that anyone could talk about.

"I've heard that the sweets at Honeydukes are to die for," Seamus had noted at breakfast that morning. "A fourth year told me that Mr and Mrs Flume make the best fudge in the world!"

"Well I've heard that Zonko's Joke Shop is the place to go."

Effie remained silent during Dean and Seamus' argument of where to go first that followed. She stared blankly down at her eggs which she was pushing around absentmindedly on her plate. More than anything, she wanted to join her friends at Hogsmeade.

Last night, she had prayed to whatever force that had sent her into The Prisoner of Azkaban that she would suddenly be given a signed permission form for the trip. When she had first woken, she yanked out her trunk and searched desperately for any form. Alas, she came up empty.

It wasn't completely the fact that she'd be missing out on fun that was getting her down. Not having a signed permission slip was just another reminder that she didn't have her parents. She was distracted from her sad thoughts by the growing volume of Dean and Seamus.

"Don't be daft, Zonko's is obviously more fun! You just want to go to Honeydukes because you're a fatass."

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

"Oh, sod off both of you. I don't know what's gotten both of your panties twisted but both stores are great. Now sit down and let me enjoy my breakfast in peace or I'll make you." Effie interrupted.

She was lying of course, as she hadn't eaten a single bite of her breakfast, but she never liked when Dean and Seamus fought. They both turned to her, still fuming from their fight, but quickly simmered down while Neville stifled his laughter. Seamus raised an eyebrow challengingly.

"Oh yeah Effie?"

"Yeah."

"What are you going to do about it?"

Dean, who had sat down, leaving Seamus as the only one standing at the table, and Neville, who was failing at containing his amusement, let out matching "OOOOH"'s. Effie had already risen to her feet to meet his eye level, eliminating his high ground.

"This."

She pointed her wand at him and whispered, "Rictusempra." A silver light shot out and hit Seamus in the chest, knocking him off his feet and causing him to double over in laughter. He wheezed until his face turned red and held up both hands in surrender.

"Mercy... mercy. You win!" He stuttered through gasps of air between laughs.

She ended the spell and gave a cocky bow to Neville and Dean who were clapping for her. She then sat down with a triumphant smile, soon joined by Seamus who was still laughing a little and red in the face.

"So...want to join us at Hogsmeade Effie?" Dean asked.

"Yeah it'll be so much better with you there." Seamus added.

Effie gave both of the boys a grateful smile and shook her head.

"Sorry, I wish I could. I don't have a signed permission form."

The boys nodded in understanding, not daring to question why she didn't have her permission for signed. Instead, they went silent and joined Effie in poking at her food. Effie noticed the change in mood.

"Guys, really it's fine. I still have to finish that Charms essay anyway."

They sighed in relief at the diffusion of the tension and continued talking about what they wanted to do in Hogsmeade.

"I want to go to Dogweed and Deathcap," Neville exclaimed, looking positively exhilarated.

"But Neville," Seamus whined, "that's an educational store."

"Yeah we're no good at Herbology," Dean chimed in.

Effie scoffed.

"You're both no good at Quidditch either but you want to visit Spintwitches Sporting Needs! Just go to the shop with him."

Dean and Seamus mumbled a bit under their breaths, but did not fight Effie's order. Neville silently thanked her to which she responded with a curt nod.

Harry, Hermione, and Ron all walked into the Great Hall and sat a few seats down from the group, talking in hushed tones. On the table was liquidy eggs, some kind of mush, and boiled potatoes. Not even bothering to push around her food anymore, Effie pushed forward her plate in disgust. Dean, Seamus, and Neville did the same. Further down, the Golden Trio also eyed their food in disgust. Seamus was the first to speak what they were all thinking.

"I guess we'll have to eat extra at Hogsmeade."

Neville nodded solemnly, "That's okay, I just feel bad for Effie."

His stomach however had no intention of allowing his lie to be believable and it gave him away with a loud rumble. Then he blushed and lowered his head in embarrassment. Effie suddenly lit up.

"You guys go up to the common room, I'll be right there."

"Effie, what?" Dean called after her, but she was already out of the Great Hall and speeding for the kitchens. A smaller house-elf who she'd seen before, Dot, was waiting for her in the kitchen.

"Would Miss Jordan like her usual?"

Effie smiled kindly down at her.

"Not today Dot. I was wondering if I could please have a basket of muffins and some bottles of pumpkin juice?"

Dot nodded eagerly and rushed to get her food. The kitchen wasn't its usual bright atmosphere. Looking around, Effie noticed that the elves looked more stressed than usual, probably why the food was lacking in its usual flavour. Dot was back in minutes with a basket of muffins larger than a sink. Lifting it took so much effort that Effie had to levitate it to get it back to the common room. The second she entered the common room, Dean, Seamus, and Neville swarmed her.

"Are you mad Effie?!" Seamus cried. "Why'd you leave us so quickly with such vague instructions?"

"You're bloody nuts woman."

"What's that smell Effie?" Neville questioned.

The three boys directed their attention to the basket floating behind Effie. Other students whose hungry bellies were left unsatisfied from the Great Hall's breakfast also turned their heads towards the smell of baked goods wafting from the basket. Effie smiled at them all warmly.

"Muffins. And enough of them for all of Gryffindor."

She floated the basket to the center of the room and students crowded around it, weighing their flavor options carefully before choosing a muffin and digging in. A chorus of "thank you Effie"'s were sent in her direction.

"How'd you find the kitchen Effie?" Ron's voice rang out from behind her.

She turned to him and contemplated her options; tell the truth and re-raise his suspicions or come up with a believable lie. She decided on the latter.

"Your brothers showed me."

Liar.

"They what?! They refuse to show me, and we're family!"

Seamus interjected from across the room.

"Yeah Ron, but you don't look like Effie-"

"Hey!"

The common room was alive with giggles, chatting, and the sound of the crackling fire. Effie smiled and looked around at all of her friends, immediately feeling a lot less homesick. She might not have her parents, but she did have a family.

With Dean's arm around her shoulders and a smile on her face, Effie smiled and sighed with content. She was home.

Author's Note pt. 2: I'll continue with Hogsmeade in the next chapter. Thanks again for the votes, comments, and support!