4.

AN: THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR THE VOTES AND COMMENTS. I am currently editing the first few chapters for some spelling and plot mistakes. ILY GUYS!!

A large mass of light erupted from the end of Effie's wand. Though it was not a full corporeal patronus, the wispy mass pushed away the dementor, forcing it to quickly flee from their compartment. 

Once she was sure it was gone, Effie collapsed onto her seat in a heap. Steadying her breath and finally allowing herself to feel the fear that she had pushed down, she began to shake slightly. Only after she had fully calmed herself did she dare to look up at Luna who was watching her with interest. A thick tension built between them, only broken when Luna spoke again.

"Did you know dementors used to be Muggles who couldn't have their memory erased?"

Effie let out a small bubble of laughter. She had no doubt that this "fact" wasn't real but she really appreciated how much lighter Luna's remark had made her feel. Leave it to Luna to relieve the weight of a stressful situation. Her demeanor had changed almost immediately back to her inquisitive and odd self.

A tall, lean looking man in worn looking robes knocked gently on the door to the girls' compartment. As Luna slid open the door for him, Effie noted the long scratches etched into his face. With a gasp she came to a realization.

It was Remus. 

Effie almost said it out loud. The spell had drained her of all rational thought and just generally exhausted her. Instead, what came out was a jumble of syllables so quiet they were barely audible.

"Reeeemoon."

The man turn to her with a face of confusion.

"What did you say, young lady?"

Luckily, his frazzled state mixed with the quiet slur of Effie's words didn't allow him to register what she had said.

"Oh, nothing. I'm just a little out of it, that's all."

After a moment more of staring, the man seemed to find that as an acceptable answer. He cleared his throat.

"My name is Professor Lupin, I'll be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts this year. I heard from some students in your neighboring compartments that they saw a dementor come in here. I was wondering if you girls are okay."

Before Effie could speak, Luna responded to the man.

"Oh those poor dementors. Effie here scared them away with that light."

Lupin turned his attention to Effie as Luna continued speaking. Effie internally willed Luna to stop but couldn't let her emotions show on her face, as Lupin was seemingly studying her micro emotions.

"She faced it head on and told it to leave then cast a spell and it went away. Very pretty by the way, Effie."

This fact seemed to interest him. Pulling out a bar of chocolate from his inside coat pocket, he leaned down to the same height as the two girls in their seats and offered Luna a piece of chocolate before turning to Effie.

"What spell did you cast."

"A patronus."

"Could've sworn it looked almost like some kind of animal. But alas, it's probably just the nargles playing tricks on me," Luna interrupted.

Lupin smiled at her before standing upright again and giving one last look at Effie. He then exited the compartment and closed the door shut behind him. Effie let out a long breath that she didn't know she had been holding in.

Pulling down her trunk, Effie fished out her Hogwarts robes before shutting the blinds. She quickly got dressed and Luna did the same. Once both girls were dressed, Effie opened the blinds and sat back down facing Luna again.