39.

AN: DOUBLE CHAPTER (part 2). Y'all this is so cool. I am so excited to share this with you! I love all of your comments and suggestions so please keep them coming. Also I really hope y'all don't mind cursing bc I have a sailor's mouth.

QOTD2: How awesome am I? (the answer is pretty fucking awesome)

"Who are you?"

Effie was trying to sound brave. Really hard. But the quiver in her voice gave her away. She was fucking terrified. In her defense, she was only acting as any normal person would if a random woman they'd never met materialized out of nowhere in the foggy lake their friends suddenly disappeared in.

She cleared her throat and tried again, sounding only slightly more confident this time.

"Who are you?"

The woman smiled at her attempt. It was a kind, gentle grin which made Effie feel better. Actually, it made Effie feel war, comforted. She was suddenly confused as to why she had been feeling even the slightest bit frightful moments earlier. After all, this woman before her was obviously harmless. She was kind and beautiful and- Effie was overcome with the sudden need to dive into the water and worship this woman before her. She was just about to do so when suddenly, all of the feelings went away. A pulse within her drew her out of a trance-like state and she was snapped back to reality (Eminem reference). She was cold and fearful and sopping wet.

"What did you just do to me?"

"Shhhh. You're safe. And you love me."

"Umm no the fuck I don't ! I am not under your 'spell' or whatever so cut the bullshit and tell me who the fuck you are."

The woman's smile dropped slightly, but she hid it well.

"My name is Viviane, and I am an Enchantress."

"So like a witch."

"No not a witch," she spat in disgust.

"I don't know, man. To me, magic powers equals witch."

Viviane took a deep breath to calm herself, obviously offended by Effie's label.

"The two are very different things, which I'm sure you'll learn about in all of the research you'll inevitably do after this. Maybe then you'll recognize how you've insulted me."

Effie winced apologetically. 

"Wanna tell me what the hell is happening?"

The Enchantress tilted her head, calculating.

"All will be explained."

Effie shifted her hands uncomfortably. Something felt familiar about this woman, but she couldn't quite place her finger on it. 

"I have a feeling I know you, but I am sure we've never met. Why?"

"I am known by a name you might recognize, actually. The Lady of the Lake."

Holy shit. It took Effie more than a moment to process her thoughts. 

"So you're... her? You're really the Lady of the Lake. The one from the stories?"

"Indeed I am."

Everything felt connected. The round table, the visions, and now this? Something big was happening and she was too close to it to connect all of the dots. But, she could feel it. 

"How do you know me and why are you here? Is this like a special lake?!"

For some reason, all of Effie's fear had evaporated. This time it didn't seem magical though. It was more that through their banter, Effie was able to tell that Viviane meant her no harm.