16.

(A/N): This is a very important chapter but it is a bit short so I'm sorry. I was rly busy so this took 2 weeks but thank y'all so much for the comments and votes!

Effie had grown herself quite a reputation with being good at magic. People in her year and other years were constantly asking her for help in their classes, specifically potions where she thrived. Never in her lifetime would she have guessed that years of browsing Harry Potter related sites on the internet and obsessing over the book series could make her so many friends. Her excelling also led to an unfortunate amount of questions, specifically about her parents and background. These were questions Effie didn't know how to respond to.

Overall, people had taken to avoiding the topic of her family. Whenever it was brought up, she'd become really quiet and wouldn't directly answer any questions so people tried not to bring up the topic, but their curiosity remained. She had never realized how important blood status was to some of her classmates when reading the books, always just assuming it was a few prejudiced Slytherins who cared and that was all. None of her friends really would have cared if they had thought she was a muggleborn, but everyone wanted to know.

More than a month into the school year, people were starting to realize how little they actually knew about the girl.

Effie had come to the conclusion, becoming friends with Luna had been one of the best decisions she had made in the wizarding world.

She'd normally never be someone to rule out the impossible, being sucked into a book full of magic really opens one's mind, but even in a world full of the impossible most of Luna's thoughts were absolutely ridiculous. Whenever Effie was feeling down, Luna would show up and spout a random, completely inaccurate fact about magic and brighten Effie's mood. Whatever fake magical creature was bothering her, whether it be Wrackspurts, Nargles, or Heliopaths, served as a perfect distraction from Effie's problems.

Effie had also taken to sitting with Luna at the Ravenclaw table for lunch or inviting her to join the Gryffindor table when Dean and Seamus were persistent to have Effie sit with them. She refused to let Luna sit alone after watching a group of older Ravenclaw girls make fun of her to her face. Between helping the twins with pranks, studying for her classes, and secretly feeding Sirius, she hadn't been spending a lot of time with Luna and other students had been taking advantage of it.

For the week of September 26th, Effie didn't need to sit with Luna at lunch. Apparently, Luna had been preventing Wrackspurts from harming students so much that they resented her and vowed revenge. For the entire week, Effie had to get Luna her homework and food through Buffy because Luna had locked herself in her dorm room. Dean, Seamus, and Neville, though they pitied Luna, were delighted with this because it meant that Effie would spend more meals with them.

On September 30th, something felt off to Effie. She didn't know exactly what was going on, but there was something happening that made her feel uneasy. It was an eerie feeling that made her hair stand up straight all morning. She couldn't quite figure it out until she walked into the Great Hall after her Transfiguration class. Sitting alone at the Ravenclaw table looking unusually nervous, was Luna.

She was sitting in her usual spot with no one around her. Nothing in the scene looked out of the ordinary, Luna always sat in that seat and always sat alone, but something was off with her demeanor. Her hands were fidgeting from anxiety and she'd occasionally dart her eyes to her left. Her mouth was moving slightly and it almost looked like she was talking to someone, but there was no one next to her.

Luna was nuts, in the fun way, but she had never looked so suspicious before. Something was completely and entirely off. The little voice in Effie's head repeated the thoughts to her.