13.

AN: I deleted a lot of stuff in an effort to make Effie less cringy. I hope this reads better than before!

For the next week, classes went by like normal. Needing to talk to someone, Effie went to go visit Myrtle. The second she walked in, she was hit by a wave of a putrid smell. Myrtle stared at her scrunched up nose and disgusted face in confusion.

"What? What's wrong?"

"Myrtle it smells absolutely rancid in here!"

"How am I supposed to know that?!"

As Effie moved further into the bathroom, she noticed a cauldron on the floor. The contents were thick and slowly bubbling. Polyjuice potion, Effie noted internally with confusion. She didn't remember anyone brewing Polyjuice potion in the third book. Looking closer, she noticed a few of the ingredients missing. It obviously hadn't been brewed for the full month long period yet.

She sat and filled Myrtle in on what had been happening with her. Myrtle, who hadn't had much contact with anyone, listened closely to her stories and added little tid-bits here and there. Effie stayed and chatted through lunch, trying not to gag from the putrid smell.

"Next time, meet me in the Prefects' bathroom."

"Are you a prefect?"

"No," Effie said with a mischievous smile before turning and leaving.

Effie hadn't really planned on doing anything for the rest of the day, but remembered that it was three days until Hermione's fourteenth birthday. She raced up to her dorm and grabbed a galleon out of her money bag. She knew she wanted to buy Hermione Flap of the Cape by Abigail Cankus, but she didn't know how to get the book. She wrote the book title on a piece of paper and took it and the galleon with her to the library.

Effie rushed into the library, making sure to keep silent. Slowing her step so as to avoid the wrath of Madame Pince, and went up to the desk where she was reading intently. She waited in front of the librarian silently, not wanting to disturb her and make her not want to help. After several moments, Madame Pince looked up from her book with an irritated face.

"Yes?"

"Hi, I'm sorry to bother you. I was wondering if you'd know a way for me to purchase a book. It's a gift for a friend but I have no way of getting it."

Madame Pince's words were slow and drawn out, not unlike Professor Snape's.

"You are getting your friend a book as a gift?"

"Yes, she really likes to read. I have the money to pay for it."

Madame Pince considered it for a moment before speaking again.

"I suppose I could order it for you. What is the title?"

"Flap of the Cape by Abigail Cankus."

The librarian raised an eyebrow.

"Interesting choice. That specific book costs eight knuts."

Effie blushed and reached into her robe, pulling out a galleon. She looked anxiously up at the woman.

"This is all of the money I've got. Do you happen to have change?"

The librarian rolled her eyes, but reached into a drawer, pulling out twenty one of the bronze sickles and sixteen silver sickles.

"Here is your change. The book will be here by tomorrow. Anything else I can help you with today?"

"Yeah, I'd like to check out a copy of Fowl or Foul? A Study of Hippogriff Brutality please."