27.

A midweek update?! Crazy, I know. I'm sorry for the lack of activity, I haven't been able to sit down and write for a while and I appreciate the continued support. As you may have noticed, the new front cover that I made is housing a NEW NAME for the story! Sorry if you found this confusing or anything, but all I've been able to do all week was light editing and my school work and I felt like the writing motivation I needed was a new title. It worked! I hope y'all enjoy 😊

For weeks after its discovery, The Cove experienced more use than it probably had in centuries. While Effie had only been in the hiding place with the boys a handful of times after her first visit, she had visited it alone during many of her lunches and free periods. During her solo visits, Effie was able to learn a great many things about herself.

1. She hated cleaning, but she was damn good at it.

In an effort to make the place look as though it was not unused for hundreds of years, Effie had taken to dusting, sweeping, and using cleaning magic to rid The Cove of its thick layers of dust. She scrubbed until the floors shined, hating every minute of it, and was ecstatic when she had finished and the previously gross mold and moss coating the stone was no more.

Effie left the vines on the walls, finding that they added a certain charm to the room, and trimmed them slightly. She wiped up the wooden desks, delighted to find that under the layers of dust and grime hid beautiful and shiny oak.

She couldn't let herself remove the large, and though she'd never admit it, slightly ugly curtains from the windows though. The curtains were a part of the room's history and so instead of burning the moldy and sour smelling fabric like she itched to do, Effie spent hours after classes washing them fully and restoring them to their original beauty, even repairing the holes that some sort of animal had chewed in them.

Effie left the notes sprawled across the board and various papers on the teacher's desk, placing a protection charm over them to ensure they were not disturbed, whether it be by a curious Bowtruckle or and accidental fire caused by Seamus.

Hours and hours of spell-work and scrubbing later, Effie still hated cleaning, but loved how The Cove looked. While it had retained most of its original old-fashioned decorations, Effie was proud to have put her personal touch on it and to have gained experience while doing it. The spells she used to clean the area were past her advancement so her ego certainly did not suffer any shrinkage. More than anything thoug, Effie liked the looks on her knights' faces when they stared in wonder at the freshly cleaned space.

"This is why you're here so often," Seamus had remarked. "It looks wonderful Effie."

2. She is great with creatures.

While she was cleaning and during her breaks, Bowtruckles crawled all over Effie, relishing in the giggles she made when their little stick arms tickled her. They nested in her hair and hid in her pockets, which she loved, but had actually had begun to cause problems for her.

The problem wasn't the clinging to her body, it was the refusal to leave. All of the Bowtruckles loved Effie almost obsessively and no matter how hard she tried to reason with them, they'd hold onto her for dear life and wouldn't let go. She had taken to regrettably prying them off of her and each time after she finally freed herself, the Bowtruckles would look up at her with sad eyes and try to cling to her again. The second she entered The Cove they'd jump on her and explore her. On days after she couldn't make it, they'd pointedly ignore her until she apologized for not being there. Then they'd proceed to attack her with love.

On March 1st, Ron's birthday, the Bowtruckles refused to give Effie back the keeper hoop engraved notebook she'd gotten Ron because they didn't want her to leave. She ended up arriving late to his party with her hair and clothes a mess from wrestling herself away from the tiny creatures which, of course, got her teased mercilessly by all of her friends.