Chapter Nine: The Challenge

"I get so weak in the knees,
I can hardly speak
I lose all control,
And something takes over me"
~

"Mother." I gulp. I muster a smile and curtsy in before I speak.

"It's nice to see you -"

"- Dear god child, fix your hair." My mother scolds me.

I am taken back by her sudden rudeness, but I try my best to hold my smile and nod.

"Oh of course. I apologise." I say.

I quickly fiddle with my hair a moment until I receive a look that seemed somewhat approving of my appearance. My mothers judgemental stare falls to my dress slowly, I could see the disapproval all over her face. She frowns slightly but doesn't comment, instead decides to move on, which I'm thankful for.

"Armelle you owe me an explanation, but first lets all get inside. There are reporters circling around the gates like a pack of wild wolves." She says sourly before turning her back and marching away.

My eyes widen slightly and Kade and I share a knowing look before looking back at my mother.

"Pesky little vermin. They'll do anything for a bit of gossip..." My mother continues to ramble about how much she despises reporters as she turns away and leads us inside the palace.

My father follows my mother inside, humming short responses as Kade and I follow not too far behind them both. Kade starts to mimic my mothers actions and I bite my lip to stop myself from laughing at his hilarious act of impersonating my prude of a mother. I lightly shove him without drawing attention with a smile on my face and continue to follow my parents quietly towards the business side of the palace.

We all walk quietly together, following the sound of my mothers clicking heels that lead us into one of the meeting rooms. I step into the door way and a big smile finds it's way to my face as I see my brothers.

"Elle! Good to see ya!" My brother Marcus says from my right pulling me into a quick side hug.

"Marcus! how are you? How is little Leah?" I ask my brother who welcomed the arrival of his first child.

"Great! The girls are both here with the others. They're all catching up in Lucian's suite." He smiles popping a grape into his mouth.

"Perfect. I will head up there soon." I smile.

"Hey guys." I wave at my other two brothers who respond with a quick 'hello' before continuing their pointless debate over golf.

Typical of those two. They love to argue over everything, from politics right down to food. There is never a dull moment with the two eldest around.

I feel Kade's presence behind me and it seems the others felt it too. Marcus and my two other brothers that were bickering moments ago have averted their full attention to Kade and I.

For a moment it's silent and I decide to break the awkward silence by introducing Kade to my family.

"Kade, meet my mother Queen Evelyn, and my brothers Prince Lucian, Prince Cassius and Prince Marcus." I introduce him to them all. But before Kade gets the chance to greet them, my mother - being her rude usual self - decides to cut in.

"Armelle I believe you and you're...Prince. Have some explaining to do." She says eye brow raised whilst eyeing Kade head to toe with squinted eyes.

"He isn't my-"

"- Hi I'm Kade, Armelle's fiancé it's nice to finally meet you all." Kade greets. My stomach drops and I'm sure I look like i've seen a ghost. I turn and stare at the man in horror.