Chapter Twenty-Three: The Spree

"You came into my life
Then made everything right again,
I was once in a dark place.."

~

I woke up this morning in a different way than I'd expected. One side of the bed was occupied by myself, the other was empty and cold, telling me it had been like so for some time.

Kade must have left while I slept. I can't help but feel hurt by his absence. But some twenty minutes later I wash off my disappointment with scented soap and my usual mental re-assurance.

Perhaps I snore? Or maybe it was the shampoo I used? I think to myself.

My self re-assurance was obviously not working out well, instead I think of all sorts of reasons as to why Kade left.

I brushed my teeth before bed.. I think? I stress.

"Princess?" A slightly raised voice startles me.

"Sorry I-um. Yes?" I fumble.

"I asked if you would like a tea." The maid repeats herself with a smile that showed she was running out of patience.

"Coffee please with cream and one sugar. Thank you." I tell the woman that seems to have been trying to get my attention for some time.

She doesn't smile nor respond but instead disappears and does as asked with urgency in her steps. Her attitude seemed rude to me at first but I realise that all maids always seem to be in a hurry, always having something to do. I understand that their jobs are far from easy or possibly even dreadful at times. I think I would rather work in a stable than for my mother.

I drain the tub after drying and wrapping myself in a fresh robe. My options are laid on my bed and of course I choose the dress recommended by Sylvia - which I regret almost as soon as I get it on.

Tight. This dress is so tight.

I hold the skirt and slightly wiggle in attempt to loosen the suffocating corset of the dress. After a few attempts, I decide it is no use, and follow my escort to where I am to meet the other women for our group shopping trip.

I wonder if their dresses are as uncomfortable as mine. I think with a sigh.

Two large doors swing open and welcome me into the room, in which when I look around, I see a bigger crowd than I had anticipated. The number of women I had expected to meet was around four, maybe five? Before me is around fifteen women whom all seem familiar with one-another.

Their conversations seem to be of more interest as only few notice my presence.

Or perhaps I'm just not attention-catching?

The many women chat and laugh on queue, their laughter filling the air whilst I stand by and spectate.

I guess it's better than receiving an uncomfortable amount of attention. I think whilst awkwardly walking further into the room.

I notice the other women seem to be dressed the same. They all wear beautiful day gowns that are thick and long, perfect for the freezing Winter weather outside. My dress is just as gorgeous of course with amazing embellishments, but still I can't help but mentally complain about how heavy it is.

Only a few hours in this, thats all. I remind myself with a sigh.

"The fall collection last year was amazing-."