Chapter Two: Kade

"Why did you leave me here to burn?
I'm way too young to be this hurt
I feel doomed in hotel rooms
Staring straight up at the wall
Counting wounds and I am trying to numb them all"

~

I am frozen and unable to speak. I didnt know what to say and it seemed neither did he. Everyone has noticed by now that we were acting odd and the Prince is the first to make a move. He looks up at his family then back to me. The way he looked at me was enough to make my legs feel weak.

God, pull yourself together Armelle.

"It is nice to finally meet you Princess." The Prince says offering me a his hand without breaking eye contact. My heart is pounding in my ears and my stomach is doing flips as I try to gulp down my nerves before hesitantly grasping his hand.

As soon as our hands touched I felt an odd tingly spark, but it is nothing compared to the exploding tingling sensation he leaves on the back of my hand with his lips. The funny feeling gives me a fright making me jump slightly. I clear my throat and look back up at the Prince, only to see him giving me a cold blank stare which made my heart sink in my chest.

He can't feel any of this can he? Of course he can't. I'm insane.

"Likewise " Is all I manage to say with a strong voice. I do my best to push all my racing thoughts to the back of my mind but his very presence was making me go crazy.

Our eye contact still hadn't broken and it was as though we were staring into each others souls. I find myself admiring him a bit more and to confirm my previous thoughts, he was much taller than I. He is dangerously attractive, his jawline sharp, and his short dark hair no longer messy but styled to perfection.

He has to be the most handsome man I have ever seen. It's a shame that he is also a jerk.

"Kade, care to explain why you are so late?" The King speaks up, snapping me and Kade out of our stare off.

The King's question reminded me of what he was doing just moments before he walked into this room, and I felt my heart sink again as images of him and that woman play in my head.

I look down at my feet not wanting to look into his beautiful eyes any longer. I felt his stare on me and he was silent for a moment, as if he was giving me the opportunity to expose him to his family and the rest of the audience.

I know I could have easily exposed him. But instead of doing so, I decided to continue to stare down at my dress as though it was the most interesting thing in the world. Because even though he may soon be my husband, what he did before our wedding is none of my business. I also have no interest in starting any family issues on my first day here, but I do hope he tells the truth.

I find myself nervously fidgeting with the lace detailing on my gown to distract myself from the very uncomfortable situation I was in. My cheeks are burning and the silence is almost torture. I wanted nothing more than to disappear, but sadly I have to stand here and endure the awkwardness.

"I was busy with some business enquiries. I apologise for my lateness." He finally says after a moment. I frown and look up at the man in disappointment who stares back at me blankly. Its as though he hasn't stopped staring at me with that same blank since he first laid eyes on me. Even speaking with his father his gaze never left me and it made me feel squeamish.

I dont know why I thought he would be honest. I couldn't have honestly expected he would tell his family the truth and risk getting in trouble over a foreign woman he was arranged to marry. We aren't in-love, not even acquainted and maybe him and that woman are.