Chapter One: Alynthius

"Yes they can hear us
But they don't understand
I have said all of my vows behind the curtains
I know they see us
But they don't stand a chance
I have kissed those lips a thousand times before this"

~

Today is the day. The day I am to travel across the seas to meet my soon-to-be husband, and in merely 24 hours, I will be a wife and a ruler of a new kingdom.

I felt light headed at the thought.

I was ecstatic when my father said he had found a Prince he considered worthy of my hand, and that he was also from a powerful Kingdom such as our own. I can only imagine the envy of my brothers hearing I get to be married into an already powerful Kingdom.

"Armelle, Your father requests your presence" Adele my lady in waiting says. I look up from fidgeting with my dress and smile up at the woman in front of me.

I walk over to her and wrap her a hug in which she returns just as tightly.

"I will miss you my dear Elle" She sighs into my dark hair. I feel my eyes sting with tears and I do my best to stop them from spilling.

"This isn't goodbye just yet." i sniff and pull back to look at the woman i consider as a mother.

"If I can, I will come to visit plenty." I say letting a tears tears slip. She smiles half heartedly.

"I am going to say my goodbye anyway, just in-case this is the last time i see you " Adele says sadly. I nod and wipe her tears before pulling her into another hug.

"Goodbye dear." she sniffs now crying with me.

After our sad exchange of goodbye's, I am escorted to the front entrance of the Palace where my father waits to bid me farewell.

"There she is, my little Princess" he says when he sees me.

I smile at my father and give him a big hug.

"You look beautiful. You will make a fine Queen Armelle." He says looking at me. I look at my father and take in his appearance. His age is catching up to him, the greys in his dark brown hair showing he hasn't re-dyed his hair in a while. His green eyes stare back into mine, though he is smiling and happy for me, I know he is sad I am leaving.

Me and my father have always had a great relationship and a special bond. We were much closer than he was to any of my brothers, I was his little girl.

"Wheres Mother?" I ask him, though I wasn't too sure I wanted to know the answer. He sends me a sympathetic smile before responding.

"She wishes you luck and is sorry she couldn't make it. Something about the staff roster being jumbled, it needed to be fixed urgently, you understand." My father explains apologetically. I could see the guilt in his eyes and disappointment.

Typical of her to not want to see me. My mother never has been quite fond of me.

"She said she loves you very much and wishes you all the best" My father continues his lie. I feel my heart sink a little.

I'm not upset or surprised. I was never truly loved by my mother, she has never really been there for me. But she would bend over backwards for my brothers, such as arranging their weddings, interviewing their brides, making sure they had the best of everything.
I just can't believe she didnt even want to at least bid me farewell, though I am sure she is glad to see me go.

"Oh right of course, I understand" I smile through my disappointment. My father seemed to believe I fell for his little white lie and smiled.

"Princess, your car is ready to take you to the airport." A guard speaks up from behind me. I nod and smile.